Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
October 26th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we spent the last couple days in Dubrovnik, the city is gorgeous but its sad that instead of the buisy hubub of markets and shipbuilding and things that the city used to take part in it is now only used as a tourist trap of sorts. Filled with stores selling crappy jewelery and overpriced walking tours, hotels, and bottels of wine. It was nice to see the old city with its walls and buildings and history, but I had the feeling of being herded like cattle thru the city. Im also a little bitter because we bought a box of lindor chocolates, for about as much as we would normally spend on a meal, and they had gone hard and white, though were before the best before date (by three days); we tried to take them back but "the package was open" so they wouldnt (after haveing such a relaxing morning this upset me quite a bit tough Sarah calmed me down pretty fast by making me laugh). I was not so much supprised to be treated like this but I am still dissapointed because it does not seem fair.

The day that we arrived here it was very sunny and we found a (fairly dirty) beach, though im sure the sand had been imported, and picked out some off the cigarette buts and the larger rocks. It was nice and relaxing.

The couple we met from San Fransico (Jean and Steve) in Hvar were on the ferry here with us and we have seen them at least once a day since we arrived (and are on the same ferry to Italy), they have been a very helpfull source of information as we share interesteing places and costs and things with each other. We also met a vancouverite named Fraiser who was helpfull in pointing out some cheap but also good restaurants that have kept our tummys very pleased.

Went to a string quartet in a small church (crammed full of people, we had prepurchased tickets and didnt get a chair, but a bench instead). It was good but they ended with some croatian composers and the famous composers they had played first were much, much better.

We have also been enjoying freshley squeesed orange and lemon juice everywhere we go (lemon juice is "add your own sugar"), and its one of the more delicious things that croatia has to offer. Also they dont have regular fanta, only fanta orange, and its not as good.

We look forward to Italy and the cuisine that we will be dining on tomorrow night.

Dont have too much fun without me,
Ian

Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb