Zagreb here i come


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
May 4th 2006
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After 13 hours of flight from Spore to Paris CDG airport, 3 hours of waiting in transit and another 2 hours of flight, we finally arrive in Zagreb at local time 12 noon, Spore time 6pm. We were tired from having not slept a wink, as the fat african guy sitting beside us was eating non-stop and disturbing our beauty sleep. (yes he was eating non-stop, he brought his own bread and peanut butter when we already had 2 full meals on board the 13 hour flight)

So arriving in Zagreb was the happiest thing in 18 hours, but it is without my luggage, that is. Our dear Air France folks had not lugged my TATONKA backpack on board the tiny 50-seater plane to Zagreb and so i was in this lost and found room in Zagreb Pleso Airport filing my baggage lost report. Together with me is Ms Billion who had so fortunately received her backpack, and another guy on the same flight who had lost his backpack as well. It seems that the staff in the lost and found room was always busy as there is always an influx of passengers who could not find their baggage.

I quickly got over the unfortunate incident and took the airport bus to the Zagreb main bus terminal together with Ms Billion. When we reached the main bus terminal, we were completely clueless as to where to take the tram to our hostel. Fortunately we met a chinese guy who told us we have to buy a 6.50 kuna tram ticket from the newspaper stand, and slot into the machine on the bus. But we had not seen anyone slotting in the ticket, still we decided we shall be good citizens and not risk being caught without paying our fare.

After 4 stops, we alighted and tried to find our way to Buzzbackpackers. Believe it or not, although the hostel was within 100 m from the tram stop, we only managed to find it after 30 min. First was the confusion with the road name, secondly the sign of the hostel was completely non-existent. Finally a kay-poh but helpful croatian guy pop his head out of his home window and signal to us if we are looking for No. 24. We said yes, and he pointed to a door 2 doors away from his. Amidst many other names of other tenants, there was this tiny label saying backpackers samurai and there it is, Buzzpacker chamouflaged as samurai backpacker.

Buzz is run by a couple of helpful japanese guys and the location is right smack in the city centre. It had just opened for 7 to 8 months, according to the owner but seems alot of people had caught word of it. Billion and i took 2 bunk beds in a 8-bunk mixed dorm and the hostel was clean, and even provide free coffee and tea......








Advertisement



5th May 2006

So have u found your backpack?
So how? found your backpack yet? and you do not have to bring so much hot drinks packets hor ....
5th May 2006

don't mind a new backpack!
Remember to make a copy of the lost-and-found report (indicating the time you lost it, till the the time you retrieved it) when you get your backpack back eventually, or you will not be able to claim insurance for delayed baggage. That is easily done if you collect it at the airport, not sure if you can get that done if the luggage is sent to your hostel. And btw, I'm surprised that BL is also clueless on how to take a tram. The experience is the same as when we were in Vienna, buying a ticket from a newspaper-stand and slotting it into a machine... just that in the end, we bought a 3-day pass instead...

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb