Along the Danube


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Vidin Province
September 16th 2023
Published: September 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning to rainy weather and a time change which made sleeping in very easy . Both Dorina and I are tired so a day sailing will be lovely .

Our first major stop was in the city of Ruse . We chose to do the optional to Veliko Tarnovo the capital from 1186-1394 . It was a 2 hours bus through the country side and the commentary along the way was interesting . Bulgaria has suffered a huge brain drain since their independence. The population has dropped from 8M to 6M . They have the lowest a average income in the EU . . They are a well educated people having 57 universities with tuition in the hundreds compared to Our thousands. Many of the students go to the UK (before Brexit) and the Netherlands. Not so much to the US since 2007 for some reason. The government is a parliamentary republic with proportionally elected representatives. A far cry from the Communist times . Today I saw a memorial to the victims of Communism .

The fields we passed were in the amidst of harvest. Corn and sunflowers along with electricity are the primary exports. The countryside is pretty . Hills , valleys and plains with mountains in the background .

Religion and the strong cultural history really kept the Bulgarians a unique people within the communism .

We were able to enter a church of the 17th century that was covered in frescoes which had survived the Communist era as a museum. While there 3 men sang for us . Their harmonies were amazing and the sound filled every bit of the space. The church was actually in two parts . The central portion was entered through a large-ish room that was called a women's room . The murals/frescoes here primarily dedicated to Mary and female Saiints. I believe this is where the women came to worship . The main room had frescoes of God in 3 persons , apostles saints and angels . It was called the Church of Michael and Gabriel .

We also went to the town of Arbanassi a historical village in the hills that now has many hotels and B&b's . A place for Bulgarians to holiday .

Back at the boat we had another 5 course meal . The presentation of these meals is amazing . So far nothing nothing has been less than a superb . We have two choices of entree at both lunch and dinner. Always an amazing salad bar , cheeses , fruit and appetizers and of course dessert .

Our next stop was Vidin a town of 30000 which was once 50000. They are managing to survive by developing their tourism industry .

They have a lovely park along to Danube that leads to Baba Vida . A fortress that dates back to Roman times and was used and developed with each of the conquerors since the Medieval times . It is surprisingly leg and had many rooms and levels . On the main each room had exhibits and panels in Bulgarian and English of what things were and how they were used. The town also has several churches, a mosque and a synagogue that has been completely refurbished in the last 2 years as an exhibition hall. The Jewish people of Bulgaria were not sent to concentration camps . The government of the time said we need their labour nd sent them into the countryside to work as farm labour .

In the evening , after a meal of lamb , we walked in to the concert hall for a concert with the symphony orchestra of the area . They travel to the various towns and villages performing 5 concerts each week 10 months of the year. A group of @20 people . They played for us for nearly an hour . It was wonderful .

Okay . That is all for now . Today we are going through the Iron Gates which raise the Danube with hyroelectric dams above the narrow gorges . Fascinating !

Keep in touch







n

Advertisement



16th September 2023

Glad you went for a drive in the country
I was wondering if you would see much of the land so thanks for sharing the Bulgarian tour. I believe the Bulgarians were traders and brokers of trade during the Viking empire (800 - 1100 or so). Please take note of anything you might come across for me? So interesting, Pam.
16th September 2023

Dining on the River
Hello. So glad you are enjoying the riverboat experience. The musical entertainment sounds as though it is to your taste. Speaking of taste, your food choices sound lovely too.
16th September 2023

Sounds fascinating, relaxing, and filling in a very good way. I’m imagining your experience, enthusiasm and enjoyment. Cheers!
25th September 2023

Great Adventures
Your trip continues to amaze with all you pack in to your days. You've learnt so much history and seen so many amazing places. The food sounds like it may be a highlight. I do enjoy reading about your adventures.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb