Get Thee to a Monastery!


Advertisement
Europe » Bulgaria » Plovdiv Province » Asenovgrad
September 22nd 2019
Published: September 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

It is Sunday morning and we had now been in Bulgaria for a week. Each day had been an education on Bulgaria: its ancient and recent historical treasures, its art & architecture, traditional culture, food and even modes of transportation. We had seen sites spanning many historical eras: the 20th-century remnants of the Communist era, Koprivshtitsa’s 19th-century Bulgarian National Revival archit... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement













23rd September 2019

Get Thee to a Monastery
Another fascinating insight into Bulgarian life Sylvia, and you must have been in picture paradise with all those frescoes, paintings and icons.
23rd September 2019

Get Thee to a Monastery
Thanks for your visit, Malcolm! I think Sarah agrees with me that seeing the incredible scale (both in number and quality) of the frescoes at Bachkovo is extraordinary. I feel very lucky indeed to have seen this monastery!
23rd September 2019

Wonderful photos!
I've enjoyed reliving that day, especially through your photos of the church interiors at the monastery - like you I was overawed at the scale of the decoration and art works! By the way, I have the story of the man with his hands cut off in my own blog entry about the day: https://toonsarah.travellerspoint.com/328/ - 'a pagan kneeling at Mary’s bedside trying to drag her down to Hell, his hands chopped off at the wrist by an angel to prevent him succeeding.' Feel free to copy!!
23rd September 2019

Wonderful photos!
Sarah, thanks so much for your visit, and for the explanation of the painting! I used to be so much better at remembering details like that! Also, thank you so much for offering the information about the painting from your own blog -- I'll take you up on that!
23rd September 2019

Monastery
The art and architecture looks incredibly beautiful. I would love to experience a night in a monastery in Bulgaria too! Something to definitely keep in mind should we return :)
23rd September 2019

Monastery
Thanks for your visit, Ren and Andrew! I'd love to return to Bulgaria for another visit, and staying at Bachkovo Monastery would be an interesting experience. Rila Monastery also offers accommodations I believe.
25th September 2019

Thank you
Thanks for including the link to my blog in your edit Sylvia - much appreciated!
29th September 2019

Bulgarian Treasures
Thank you for sharing your blog and wonderful photos on this seemingly little-visited corner of Europe. The fortress and monastery look beautiful, and must have been very interesting to visit.
29th September 2019

Bulgarian Treasures
Alex, thanks so much for reading this blog. The Bachkovo Monastery was extraordinary in the richness of its paintings. It's difficult to remember everything we saw here but a few paintings really stood out. Glad we got to visit Bulgaria. Where are you off to next?
30th September 2019

Bulgarian Treasures
Good to hear. I have a few travel ideas in the pipeline, nothing concrete just yet...
3rd October 2019

Wonderful memories from the monastery and the restaurant, what a day - love your photos, Sylvia :D
3rd October 2019

Thanks so much, Regina! You and Jon saved the day by braving the flooding rain and thunderstorms to take us all to dinner! Your kindness will be remembered by all of us and will now be legend in VT Euromeet history!!
2nd January 2020

It is the expression & the poise of the hand
Religious paintings can be compelling or passe. The blank eyes, pursed lips and the not quite right position of the fingers makes this painting...not only compelling but extraordinary. Love it.
2nd January 2020

expression & poise...
Thank you for all your kind comments! Bachkovo Monastery was a treasure trove of religious art as you can imagine. I was thrilled that they allowed photography inside of the cathedral and churches there!
2nd January 2020

Brilliant
Great pic of a priest, his hair and his habit.
2nd January 2020

Brilliant
Thank you! This priest had so much character in his features that I would have loved to get a photo of his face, but I was happy to get at least this photo of him.
2nd January 2020

What an extraordinary image
I have posted some of your wonderful photos in our "Cathedrals, grand churches, mosques & places of worship" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out.
2nd January 2020

Extraordinary image...
Thank you, Dave! That was so kind of you! I really appreciate it!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb