What can you visit in Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina?


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina
January 24th 2022
Published: January 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Mostar is one of the most visited destinations in Bosnia and Herzegovina and many people add it to their Croatia itinerary because of its proximity to the border. In fact, the city is often visited as a day trip from Dubrovnik. Here are some of the highlights of Mostar, that you shouldn't miss during your trip:

Stari Most bridge



Stari Most (Old Bridge) is a pedestrian stone bridge over the Neretva river, built by the Ottomans in the 16th century. In fact, the city took its name after the bridge keepers (called mostari) who guarded it in medieval times.
Stari Most was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2005 and it's considered to be of utmost importance regarding the Islamic architecture in the Balkans as well as one of the most famous landmarks in the country. However, the bridge that connects the two sides of Mostar today is a reconstruction as the original one was destroyed during the Croat–Bosniak war.

Mostar Old Bazaar



You can find the old bazaar in the middle of the historic center of Mostar, near the Stari Most bridge. Here you can buy all sorts of things from cheap mass-produced items to authentic Bosnian handmade ones. The copper coffee sets can make lovely gifts for people back home, or great souvenirs for yourself.

Cliff diving competition



The cliff diving competition takes place every year near the end of July (so you have to time your trip right) at the Stari Most bridge. The contestants will equally amaze and frighten you as they jump from the top of the bridge into the cold emerald waters of the Neretva river. Even if you don't visit the city when the competition is taking place, you might still see people jumping in the river. They are members of the local diving club and often do it for the crowds.

Koski Mehmed-Pasha Mosque



For a small fee, you can visit the interior of the mosque as well as climb its minaret from where you can get a beautiful view of the Old Bridge, the river below, and all of Mostar. Claustrophobic people should avoid climbing the minaret though, as the staircase is super narrow. They would be better off admiring Stari Most from Lučki most bridge, which is the next bridge on the Neretva river.

Crooked Bridge (Kriva ćuprija)



The Crooked Bridge is located very close to Stari Most and it resembles it a lot, just that it's way smaller in size. It is believed that this bridge was a test run before the Old Bridge was actually built.

War Photo Exhibition



The War Photo Exhibition is located in the western tower of Stari Most, right above the Bridge's diving club and has on display around 50 photos taken by the New Zealand photographer Wade Goddard during the brutal war in Mostar. In fact, as you walk around the city, you will spot several buildings that still bear the marks of bullets from the recent war

Bosnian cuisine



Before you leave the city don't forget to try some of the local dishes, as well as drink some Bosnian coffee. The Bosnian cuisine is very diverse and colorful, a lovely mix of East and West, reflecting the multicultural aspect of the country. Some of the most popular dishes are Sarma, Ćevapi or Klepe. The coffee looks a lot like the Turkish one, however, it's prepared in a different way.



I really hope this blog post gave you a few ideas on the best things to visit during a short or even a longer stay in Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb