Mostar


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » South » Mostar
July 15th 2017
Published: July 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes the journey is better than the destination and sometimes the journey just never seems to end. Let’s just say that we had an interesting journey from Zabljak to Mostar. It started well; we chose to start with the windy route through more of the National Park and it was lovely, more valleys and meadows. Then we continued the journey towards the BiH border, the problem came when we came to a junction on the Tara river; the gps was quite insistent that we turn right and the route we had looked at the day before said turn left. As we had neither a paper map nor access to the internet we decided to trust our gps machine. This was fine to the border then suddenly became not so ok; a narrow road in very poor condition, very twisty, deteriorating into a dirt single track road twisting and turning up and down valleys. We were in a strange time warp where the clock time was moving forward but so was the expected arrival time. We celebrated when finally it was under an hour to the destination, we turned onto a tarmac road and we saw our first sign to Mostar! I think if we had planned to go on this route and had known how long it would take, the beauty of the countryside and the river valleys would have been far more appreciated than they were.

Having spent nearly an hour then tracking down the accommodation in central Mostar old town we finally were ready to visit this celebrated town.

I don’t know if the journey, the busy-ness of the town or what, but it was not what either of us were expecting. Far, far smaller. We had decided on a number of places to visit and found everything in a very small area, that’s absolutely packed with visitors, souvenir stalls and cafes. It is very pretty and seeing the bullet ridden buildings on the way into the old town and the detailed reconstruction is admirable, especially as the sun’s going down and early in the morning. We’re glad we visited, especially having read some of the history before and seeing the real place was impressive, but be prepared for a very small old town and a lot of people in it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



17th July 2017

Good views you seem to be enjoying the scenery
and a lot history. Have safe journey

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb