The Stari Most in Mostar


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » South » Mostar
August 29th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We drove from Dubrovnik through a tiny bit of coastal Bosnia & Herzegovina at Neum, then back into Croatia, before heading inland to another border with Bosnia! From there, we drove along the Neretva river to Mostar. We went around a house built during the Ottoman period before walking further into the old town to see the Stari Most (old bridge), which has been rebuilt since its destruction in the war in the early 1990s. Although many of the central buildings have been reconstructed, bullet holes and the remnants of bombed buildings are visible around the city, providing a stark reminder of how recently the city was in the middle of a war.

From Mostar, we went to Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia & Herzegovina. We saw the spot where Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated and wandered around the old town, looking at mosques, a catholic church, an orthodox church and the town hall which is still badly damaged from the war. We stayed in the business district of the city, close to the impressive Twist tower.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb