A Lifeline to Home


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
July 5th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

If you've never studied The Balkan Wars, don't. I've studied my fair share of wars, and the stuff that these people went through is some of the worst. Tomorrow we visit Srebrenica, the site of a massacre/genocide. Today we visited The Tunnel of Life, which was an 800 meter tunnel dug under the airport. It served as the only lifeline for the entire city of Sarajevo for the more than 3 years it was under siege. It was 1.6 meters high and about 1 wide...see the picture of me squatting in it for better reference. And remember, this is how they got all their supplies: military, food, etc. All through this little tunnel.

After that light and easy morning, we paid a visit to the Bosnian Springs. These actually were really cool. It's a system of rivers and streams spawning from somewhere underground that flow through a gorgeous park. The water was frigid (when I say frigid, I mean that Maine Ocean water is comparatively a bathtub. This is running glacial water), but clear as glass and in a beautiful area to boot.



We came home relatively early compared to the last few days, at which point we found a restaurant to eat at. I got šopska (basically a vegetable salad) and chicken salad. For dinner we went to another place which is apparently very popular: it's near a mosque, so Muslims will go this month around 8:15 and order food and let it sit until the cannon marking the end of the day's fast goes off. It fills up most nights for that.



A bit of shopping later and we went out to watch the Netherlands-Costa Rica game. The timing is tough here because the second game starts at 10 pm, so it's already cutting it close with your sleep schedule...worse so if it goes into overtime or PKs. Me, I cut out at halftime. I came back to write this post for all you lovely people, and then, honestly, to pass out. Luckily I'm pretty over the jetlag, but between the long days and the heat, I'm frankly exhausted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb