At the Mill


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium
December 21st 2013
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.2875, 6.18517

After a rather big day of driving yesterday, we were pleased to have a quiet day and just catch up with Miranda and Jonathan. After breakfast, with some watery sunshine, we went for a tramp through the forest behind Miranda and Jonathan's home.

Miranda and Jonathan have purchased a derelict water mill building, and spent a lot of time and money renovating it to a very high standard. Where previously, an old tin barn leaned against the century-old mill, they have replicated the footprint with a spacious lounge room, all glass, looking into the forest. Upstairs are three large bedrooms and bathrooms, and on the lowest level, is a large cellar/storage area and....a large Finnish sauna and a hot tub that fits eight people!

The mill is just outside St Vith, a town of about 10,000. It was the site of a huge battle in World War II - on Christmas Day, 1944, the Allied forces (mainly US) bombed the begeezers out of the town (most buildings were destroyed) to push the Panzer divisions of the German army back. The mill was actually used by the German commanders as headquarters.

We then went shopping for some supplies - crossing 15 km into Luxembourg, as groceries are cheaper there! We then had the exciting experience of buying a real, live Christmas tree - much deliberations, by those who had no idea what they were choosing! We then returned to Belgium where Jonathan stopped at a butcher and bought an Ardenne ham, uncooked and unsmoked, for him to cook and smoke for Christmas Day! I love that he says he hasn't done this before....very ambitious, I thought!

The afternoon was spent quietly around the house before Jonathan prepared us a roast venison dinner!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb