Riding Through the Battle Grounds


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders
July 3rd 2012
Published: July 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was the longest single ride of 100 Kms. We departed from the Hotel in Ieper and headed west into Flanders. 10 Kms into the ride we climbed the famous Kemmelberg which was the last of the cobbled hills. This proved less daunting than the previous climbs and Chris made it to the top!

After a long ride we reached the Australian War Memorial and the cemetery of the lost soldiers in Frommel which bought us down to earth (quite humbling).

after a quick stop for lunch we rode on to Lillers and then rode on to Therouanne to watch the feed zone of the race. Huge crowds greeted us and took great amusement at the noise the Aussies were creating. We then headedblack to the hotel by bus.

After watching the finish of the race on TV we went into town and had some grub, and a couple of bottles of wine with goulash, frites and myonaise (famous Belgium delicacy). After this it was off to the Menin Gate memorial to watch the last post ceremony which has occurred every evening since the end of world war one. This was very moving with hundreds of visitors watching on. This was the site of the original Antwerp Gate through which thousands of soldier passed on the way to the front. The ceremony included buglers and a bagpipe band from Glasgow.

After this, back to the hotel for a swift one (drink) and to pack ready to head into the Champagne region in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb