In Bruges...


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
July 15th 2010
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After another horrific nights sleep we are in a taxi at 7:30am to head to our first busabout pickup point. Even though i feel extremley tired and liked Paris, im really looking forward to Belgium. The coaches are filled with young travellers (mainly Australians.) Fairly quick journey as I kipped most of it away. Arrived in Bruges about 1pm so dumped our bags and went to explore the city. The only preconception I had of Bruges was that Colin Farrell hated it so i tried to keep and open mind.

Bruges is pretty medieval. All of the buildings have pires and look like castles. I found out later that it is all less than authentic, having been built in the 19th century for tourist purposes. But hey ho. In the centre of Bruges there are two market squares with cafes and shops all around, so far I have resisted the chocolate. There was a really cool street band playing in the square, singing in French i think, with about eight contributing randomers on the side, one of whom was playing a sitar! All very bizarre. There was also a crazy lady swinging two blue parrots around above her head and between her legs! The poor birds, why she didnt just sit them on her shoulder like any sane person is beyond me.

Checked into our room in the late afternoon, compared to the Paris one its amazing. Except the toilet is so small you have to hold it shut or your knees knock it open again!

In the evening had my first Belgian Beer! All very exciting and it came in what looked like a mahoooosive wine glass. Only 2 euro as well, nice one. Ended up meeting this South African dude and chatting about beer (what else?) and attempted this cherry flavoured one which was amazage! We ended up buying some desperados and drinking them under the belfry tower in true moneysaving, chavvy drinking in a sqaure stylee.

Went back to the hostel later where there was a dude outside swinging a sword around. Bit bonkers but he was part of some troupe of swordsman or something. Raaaaaaaaaaandom!

Next day had a lie in until 11! Had no idea how much sleep i needed, was very exhausted from Paris. In an effort to save money on food today we bought some rolls, cheese and salami from the supermarket to eat on the waterfront. Turned out to be really nice, bonus.

Went to see the basillica of the holy blood today. Legend has it that its christ blood and it has been carried and protected for centuries by a brotherhood. Its a very small church that holds it. But very peaceful. There is a priest who sits upon an alter and you donate money and then go up to the alter and rest your hands upon it. It was quite profound looking down upon it. I couldnt really look away from it, it was an odd experience, i felt quite overwhelmed by it.

Finally gave in and bought some Belgian Chocolates. The woman in the shop kept giving me free samples! Whats a girl to do....?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb