We start...Thursday to Monday


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
September 5th 2022
Published: September 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We left LA on Thursday, September 1st and arrived in London Friday about 10 am. It was the usual dehumanizing, maddening journey in a cramped plane with the lights out for unending hours through the night. Then, the Tube to a Holiday Inn near St. Pancras station for some catchup sleep, a meal and an overnight stay. Boarded the Eurostar Saturday for a three hour journey to Brussels. Rented a car and drove to Bruges for a 3-day stay in a lovely apartment just off the Markt Square. On Sunday, I got King Leopold's Revenge and there were no pharmacies open to deal with the problem.

Nevertheless, after a late start, we drove to Dunkirk to see the "Mole" and the beach where the troops were rescued during that awful week in 1940. We drove further south to Ypres where Britain and Germany slugged it out for four years in the mud but arrived too late in the day to do much. We decided to retool and visit there again on Tuesday (tomorrow). Today, after finding a pharmacy, we spent the day walking around Bruges, eating chocolate, dodging rain drops, doing some photography and eating L'entrecĂ´te for dinner.

Bruges was a treat. Terrific people watching, quaint buildings, very walkable. We had a nice dinner on the Square accompanied by a 45 minute downpour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb