Jaarbeurs Exhibition


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders
September 19th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.054, 3.72169

Belgian beer tasting at Europes longest bar. When Nele told me she had obtained free tickets I was drooling with anticipation. With Bert and Nele having to work, and the Jaarbeurs Exhibition finishing up this week, we decided to find our way there alone. After all, it sounded too good to miss! We walked to the nearest bus stop, caught the bus to Aalst, a return train to Gent and tram from Gent to Flanders Exhibition. We handed over tickets, ready for beer to be greeted by Nepalese dancers and a seemingly endless furniture exhibition. Ah, is this the right place?
The hunt for beer begins! A room to our left, a chance perhaps! Ham, cheese, wine tasting, candy, pies. This is not beer! Care to try some wine? Well sure, if we must, but which way to the beer? We tried some wine and various samples, some cheese, some soup. Few seemed to speak English, or those that did, didn't really seem to know what kind of exhibition this was for some reason. Finally, hope, a beer tasting stand. Spanish, not Belgian, but a start none the less. One of these beers was actually amazing, among the best Ive ever had. We bought a few. After finding some encouraging directions to the beer bar, we boldly ventured onwards.
More furniture, heaters, wine, televisions, elderly related products, Indian food, Nepalese spices and statues..? Are we still in Belgium?
Then finally, there it is! A segregated area, and radiant light illuminating the bar of my dreams. We purchased a few handful of tokens to exchange for beers and set to work. Over 30 Belgian beers to choose from! Where to start. We selected the following, none of which disappointed; Abbaye de Forest, Brugse Zot Blond, Bush Blonde (*), Cuvee Des Trolls, Duvel, Hommelbier, Kwak and Straffe Hendrik (*). *'s for my favorites. We also polished off some cheese and mustard on the side.
From there, filled with joy, we made our way back home. We stopped in Aalst, for the best McDonald's ever, and not just because it was after a beer session. The 1955 burgers, wow! Back home, we packed small bags for tomorrows adventure. One small bag for 2 with clothes for check in, another bag for hand luggage. Tomorrow, we are off to Tunisia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb