Surprise trip to Belgium....Ghent


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders » Gent
July 24th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Edward told me to bring my passport ... and that's all I needed....

He'd packed a bag and we were on our way to Waterloo Train Station when I guessed where we were heading.....one of my favourite European countries.....Belgium.....the land of beer and chocolate!!

Edward had treated us with first class on the Eurostar...so we enjoyed a champagne brunch and nice comfy seats and service for our 3 hours to Brussels. I love the Eurostar....it's so much better than flying....seeing the English countryside, then 20mins in the tunnel under the English Channel, through France and over the border to Belgium.

Arrived at 'The Ghent River Hotel', our home for the next 4 days, then spent the afternoon exploring the lovely small town of Ghent. Found a nice little restaurant where we had a Hoegaarden (or few!) and vegie burgers for dinner.

The next day we hired some bikes and cycled out in the lush Belgian countryside. On our last trip to Belgium (Brugge), we hired bikes and rode into Holland. We didn't quite make it over the border this time, but we did explore many different bike routes and forests around the countryside. A couple of pit-stops for Hoegaarden and chocolate & had a little picnic of some snacks we'd liberated from the morning breakfast buffet!

Getting carried away with exploration, we didn't realise the time and had to have the bikes back to the shop by 6pm. Not knowing really where we were or how to get back, it was quite an adventure to say the least!! Despite our amazing navagational skills and astounding physical performance, we arrived at 'Biker' at 18:10....with the doors locked & bolted!! We were still pretty impressed with our mega mission back!!
It was quite a big day out cycling and our butts certainly felt it the next day!!

The next day we explored more of Ghent and found some amazing architecture.....endless cathedrals, bell towers and cottage-lined canals.

Chose to dine in a few of the many beer cafes in town. Was loving the extensive beer menus. Tried some really delish ones..... Westmalle, Valerik, Duvel, Angel, Troll, Tongerlo, Kriek, and of course the usual - Hoegaarden & Leffe. Belgian beer is my favourite!! They really know how to brew!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

It's all too much!It's all too much!
It's all too much!

Time for a nana-nap before the mega mission!
Belgian BeerBelgian Beer
Belgian Beer

Cheap as chips and just as tasty!!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb