Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region
October 2nd 2015
Published: October 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we set off from Paris to Brussels. Thanks to Ab who picked us up and drove us. It took about three hours through the country side. I caught glimpses of old churches and villages and wished I had months to explore the hidden treasures of France. We arrived to Jackie's Niece's at around 3:30 in the afternoon and were greeted with big hugs and welcome from Ilse (Jackie's sister) and Babbette (Jackie's niece). We settled in and then went for a beautiful walk in the forest that surrounds their brick house. The sun was shinning through the trees and there was a lot of calmness around us. It was wonderful getting a chance to get to know Babbette as we walked, and I am really enjoying watching Jackie connect with her family and catch up on all the news. They truly love each other and I am appreciating what a blessing it is to have people in our lives who love, care and are interested in who we are. I am grateful for my family and also for Jackie's who have been so warm and welcoming. There is a comfort with them and it feels as if I have known them for years. The culture in Brussels and Paris is so unique and different, as is my own, but what is a common theme is care, love and acceptance. I love watching the dynamics between families and seeing the difference, but also all the similarities. It is fascinating to see generations present different variances of family characteristics. People are so intriguing.

We shared a lovely meal with Jackie's family including her two Grand nieces and nephew in law Bas. It was a lovely mellow night as we got to know each other and it was good to chillax for a bit. Today started with a kind wake up call from Ilse, as we had to get our day started and get to Brussels. Babbette spoiled us again with her amazing cooking (which she promises to send me the recipes) and off to the bus we went. We were enjoying the scenery for about all of 5 min's when we turned a corner and heard a bang, and felt a bump at the end of the bus. All eyes were wide as we tried to make sense of what we heard and felt. The bus went very quiet. I didn't hear any screaming so I assumed we must of hit another vehicle and not a person. A few moments later we heard the driver from the truck we bumped into talking to the bus driver and help direct him past the truck. No major damage, but we had to change buses. We arrived to downtown Brussels about half hour later and toured around Les Grande Plaza, had a coffee (of course) and started to walk around the streets to find Manneke Pis - the famous statue of Brussels. It was then time to eat, which I find is one of the main social events in both Paris and Brussels. The wait was long for the food at the cafe, but the food was wonderful. They did not bring us our Belgium fries though (sad face). By the time we finished lunch it was time to head home. We walked around a bit more and of course had to stop at some chocolatiers and I tried my first Macaroon. It was so incredible, all I could say for 5 min's was 'wow'. Ilse also bought some decadent desserts for tonight after our homemade Indonesian dinner!

The streets in Brussels are certainly less congested then Paris and I could notice a big difference in the architecture. The buildings are more brick in style and less stone and concrete. The streets are narrow and cobblestone, which I adore. It brings so much character to the city. We didn't do too much today, which was actually perfect. We were able to relax the rest of the day, nap and visit. It was exactly what I needed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb