A weekend in Brussels


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Images from Grand 'PlaceImages from Grand 'PlaceImages from Grand 'Place

In the painter's corner
People often say that Brussels is the one of the most boring cities in Europe. It doesn’t have the romanticism of Paris, the culture of Amsterdam or the art of Rome. Therefore, it was a very sceptical me that got onto the Eurostar that was to take us to Brussels Midi (a shade over 2 ½ hours) - a weekend jaunt that has planned at the nth moment.

Our hotel is in the heart of town - walking distance from the Grand ‘Place and the weather holds up. There is a bit of snow but its been snowing in London as well so its not too bad.

The main attractions in Brussels are - the chocolates (try Neuhaus); Mannequin Pis (you will be surprised at how tiny it is) and the French cuisine (mussels in white wine).

Sudeep & I spent most of our time walking around Grand ‘Place but we also managed to do the Tintin museum, got ourselves a Lebanese meal at Kasbah and wander around what is one of Europe’s most prosperous cities. We also take a guided bus tour that takes us through the Belgian Palace areas, The Atomia, the EU Parliament and a quick course on Belgian lace making.

Since it’s a weekend break, we haven’t really bothered ourselves running from one museum to another - its been a trip where we enjoyed our hotel (for once) and ate a lot (waffles with strawberries and ice creams). Its true, Brussels is not as grand or exciting as any of the large European cities but with the right company you can have a relaxed, fun weekend.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Belgian SymbolThe Belgian Symbol
The Belgian Symbol

Mannequin Pis
Walking aroundWalking around
Walking around

St Katherine's Cathedral
Modern ArtModern Art
Modern Art

The Atomia


6th April 2005

pissing statues
In 1984, in respect of the principle of equality between men and women, they made a Gannekin-Pis - a pissing little girl! She's hard to find - down an alley off the alley with all the seafood restaurants off the Grande Place - but worth it when you get there. Equally small, but much cuter than the Mannekin.

Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb