Belgium


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
September 27th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mannekin PisMannekin PisMannekin Pis

It was his birthday and he gets to dress up!
Joined Heather and family for a foray into Belgium. Had been to Brussels once before in my teens (travelling down to Strasbourg on a school trip) and remember the Grand Place and the Mannekin Pis well. Visited a lot more this time, including Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp and Mechelin. The Flemish (Dutch Belgian) and Walloon (French Belgian) split is quite distinct. There was a lot going on in Brussels this particular week, including a no car day on the Sunday when we arrived (quite weird, bit like Day of the Triffids at first, until the cyclists came out). The next weekend was an event to promote French community spirit in Brussels and the Grand Place had a big stage with Eurovision stylee acts (v. amusing). Haven quite recovered from a rendition of "Ça plane pour moi" by Plastic Bertrand (and I think it was the original artist)! Bruges is as georgeous as it looks in the film In Bruges (but thankfully no swearing/murders witnessed). Ghent is in the middle of repairs to the town centre but still amazing (didn appreciate the mozzie bites acquired by the canal though). Became a beer drinker for the first time (Kriek Max cherry beer is v.
First day - admiring BrusselsFirst day - admiring BrusselsFirst day - admiring Brussels

No car day and thousands of cyclists instead.
nice, as is Kwak a honey beer)! Belgians are not renowned for extremes (people are generally reserved) but I would definately recommend visiting - some impressive architecture and an interesting language mix, but especially for the chocolate, beer and waffles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The Atomium in BrusselsThe Atomium in Brussels
The Atomium in Brussels

This has lasted since Expo 58 and was well worth visiting.
Brussels Grand Place at nightBrussels Grand Place at night
Brussels Grand Place at night

Note the VIPs watching stage show from balcony.
Canal trip around BrugesCanal trip around Bruges
Canal trip around Bruges

Beautiful sunny afternoon, mid September!
Blissful dog Blissful dog
Blissful dog

Sunning itself as we passed by on canal boat
Bell-tower in Bruges Grote Markt (Market Square)Bell-tower in Bruges Grote Markt (Market Square)
Bell-tower in Bruges Grote Markt (Market Square)

Climbed over 360 steps to top to see great view in daylight.
Musician in courtyard of Bruges bell-towerMusician in courtyard of Bruges bell-tower
Musician in courtyard of Bruges bell-tower

He made the most lovely haunting sound with this steel drum and pipe.
Kwaks mostly to the left!Kwaks mostly to the left!
Kwaks mostly to the left!

Belgian beer glasses are part of the experience.
Das boottripsDas boottrips
Das boottrips

Where the nasty mozzies hung out in Ghent.
AntwerpAntwerp
Antwerp

Classic Belgian architecture.
Tintin and Snowy!Tintin and Snowy!
Tintin and Snowy!

The Belgian Comic Strip Centre in Brussels in beautiful Art Nouveau building was very good. Hosting current comic stip artists as well as old (Bastien Vives draws some fairly x-rated cartoon strips)!


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb