Brussels, Belgium


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
June 14th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

June 12, 13, 2008

Brussels, Belgium

Another 3 hour drive and we are in Belgium. This is the first real “rain out “day we have had. ( double header tomorrow I guess ). Awoke to clouds and drizzle and drove through rain most of the drive. Maybe better tomorrow.

We have been In Brussels before and liked it very much. Very civilized, great food with lots of variety, and a relatively safe city and of course lots and lots of chocolate. Not such a big problem for Alice but I have a real weakness for all things chocolate. ( and they have everything chocolate here ). The other famous food here is Belgium Waffles ( and crepes ) usually covered with all kinds of savory or sweets and of course with lots of chocolate.

Lots of foreign expats living here as this is a very important political city with the center for the European Union being here. We are getting various points of view on the European Union thing as some are all for it, and some have a few problems particularly with things like immigration and traveling from foreign countries. As we understand it, if you lived in a participating country ( or “colony” ) of a participating country you are automatically given a European Union passport that basically allows you to travel at will in any participating E U country. Borders mean almost nothing. For example we cleared customs coming into Hungary and we haven't been asked for a passport since when traveling from country to country. ( Except a brief look on our travel through Slovenia. ).

Friday was spent in the town center taking some pictures, looking for chocolate and of course having a Belgium Waffle and a crepe. Very good stuff. Not a great day weather wise, but not wet, just a little fresh. A nice relaxing day in a beautiful city.

Brussels is a beautiful place to visit. Very civilized, Great restaurants good hotels and few language issues. ( A lot of people speak English, Flemish and French with some Dutch and German thrown in. ) Put this on your list for a couple of days visit if you are coming to Europe.

Lots of stuff to due such as Waterloo, Bruges, Flanders, and others a very short drive from Brussels

Tomorrow we go to Paris for a 4 day stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb