Breendonk


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Antwerp Province » Willebroek
March 11th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today I took a trip to the Fort of Breendonk, not far from Gent. Breendonk was originally built in the early 1900's as part of the outer defense network for Antwerp. During WWII the Nazi's took posession of the fort and used it as a concentration camp. The fort now stands as a memorial to those who suffered during WWII.

The visit to Breendonk was not exactly pleasant. I'm not going to post a lot of photos here, just a few to give you an idea of the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BreendonkBreendonk
Breendonk

The Memorial
BreendonkBreendonk
Breendonk

This was on the wall of the room that the SS soldiers used as their bar/lounge.
Philipp SchmittPhilipp Schmitt
Philipp Schmitt

Member of the German SS and head of the prison at Breendonk. Executed at the Mechelen trials.
Philipp SchmittPhilipp Schmitt
Philipp Schmitt

I found this photo disturbing. To see him doing something normal like playing with his dog (the same dog that he would set on the prisoners) after hearing about all of the horrible things he did...it was disquieting.
Fernand WyssFernand Wyss
Fernand Wyss

Member of the Flemish SS, he was said to be one of the more violent guards. Executed at the Mechelen trials.
BreendonkBreendonk
Breendonk

The Memorial


14th March 2006

great pics..
what a tremendous experience - i agree with you about the strangeness of him playing with the dog...travel safely!
16th March 2006

i must agree
they are very impressive pictures you took there Brian. However, I agree with you and the picture of the dog. Breendonk must have felt like such an unwelcoming experience, especially as a memorial.
13th June 2006

Breendonk leaves you uneasy
I have visited Breendonk now at least 3 times (with students and with people visiting). It left a deep impression on all of them. And even me, who heard the horror stories for a 3rd time, I could not help it that tears came up again. I usually go for a good Duvel beer to wash it away. It sure is a place you should visit if you are nearby. In Mechelen you have another Kazerne you can visit that is connected to the history of the Fort of Breendonk. I still have to visit that one. You took nice pictures. They describes very well the atmosphere there. Dannie (Irisbe)

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb