The Ant that climbed the tallest hill


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Antwerp Province » Antwerp
October 5th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Las Vegas 017Las Vegas 017Las Vegas 017

Mmm beer!
Except there were no real hills in Antwerp...

And I did not see an ant...
Mosquitoes yes...

The trip to Antwerp nearly wasnt.. After catching the Eurostar to Brussels, we proceeded to find the connecting to Antwerp, after much confusion we were ushered onto a train, only to be put in the first class cabin. We did not have first class tickets so I jumped off the train to have a better look.. Next thing I know the bells are ringing, Chris is screaming at me and the train was about to leave! Luckily, I managed to jump back onto the train and we rode to Antwerp in first class style..

After being picked up at the train station by Chris' Antwerp contact, we were lucky enough to be offered a tour around Antwerp that showed us all the main sights, such as the Katherdral and the Grote Market. Its so strange being in cities in Europe and hearing how old some of the buildings are. Australia isnt as old as a resturant we had dinner in! Its surreal...

After being shown these sights, we got to the more important things.. thats right.. the Belgian beer! Where
Las Vegas 001Las Vegas 001Las Vegas 001

Gorgeous room! Best so far!
the weakest beer is 5% and the strongest is nearly 12% we felt like right tools for making fun of the American beer. Now we were the joke! 2 beers later, we were well on our way to being mighty pissed!

The next day started for me with a lovely sleep in, not so Chris who had to go to work (haha), after which I wondered into the old town.. Stopping for some very important Belgian refreshments as I went.

Our trip to Antwerp was completed with being taken out to dinner at the restaurant I mentioned early...€600 later.. We were dropped off back at our hotel. No Im not joking...

As bright and early as we could muster, we headed to Central Station the next day to catch our train back to Brussels. Central Station is the 4th most beautiful train station in the world and it definately didnt disappoint. 3 levels of training departing and arriving at the same time was certainly an interesting sight as was the architeture of the station.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Las Vegas 002Las Vegas 002
Las Vegas 002

What a clever TV!
Las Vegas 004Las Vegas 004
Las Vegas 004

The Kathedral
Las Vegas 007Las Vegas 007
Las Vegas 007

Grote Market/ Grand Palace
Las Vegas 015Las Vegas 015
Las Vegas 015

Oo he looks a little nervous!!
Las Vegas 024Las Vegas 024
Las Vegas 024

Antwerp is the Diamond Capital of the world and from the amount of shops its not hard to see why
Las Vegas 025Las Vegas 025
Las Vegas 025

Antwerpen Central


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb