Salzburg and Hallstatt (beauty on a bun)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
July 13th 2010
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"On the road again, part 1000, and I hope it never ends" (HR 2010)

OK, so this summer our goal is to hit the eastern regions of Europe, looking for old, unspoiled towns with beautiful architecture, narrow streets, old fashioned cultures and 75 cent beers.

It was a family reunion of sorts. Brother Carl and Anouchka would be coming from Berlin, brother Joel from Phillie town, Evi and I from Fran Fran Frisco. Must find a central meeting point, as we are headed afterwards to Romania. (future travel blog - stay tuned)

So we met in Salzburg for 2 nights; took buses and trains southeastward about 100 km through the green mountains, rivers, and and lakes of central Austria, eventually by boat from the train station across the Hallstattersee, to the exquisitely beautiful village of Hallstatt. The streets are narrow, lie along the lake and abounds the most beautiful scenery. The homes are brightly painted with oo-cob-goos of flowers; nature trails abound and it's a very contemplative region. Hallstatt lies in the Salzkammergut region (valuable for 4000 years as a source of salt, used for cooking, even "salary" of the Roman soldiers.)

So enjoy the photos! Howie
SalzburgSalzburgSalzburg

View from the Salzach River
R.






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

In Mirabell PalaceIn Mirabell Palace
In Mirabell Palace

Did Mozart play here?
Street in HallstattStreet in Hallstatt
Street in Hallstatt

Howie gets artsy fartsy with the HDR style.
Howie and Evi in blissHowie and Evi in bliss
Howie and Evi in bliss

We are high above the lake above Hallstatt town - it's a 45 minute walk to here.
Carl and Anouchka Carl and Anouchka
Carl and Anouchka

Cover of their next CD?
Roofs in HallstattRoofs in Hallstatt
Roofs in Hallstatt

The homes are built vertically upward with narrow winding lanes above each layer.
Midafternoon snackMidafternoon snack
Midafternoon snack

Full relaxation with Anouchka, Carl, Joellie, and Evi. Howard behind camera.
Look up Look up
Look up

You're Home! That's how steep the buildings are.
Hallstatt old squareHallstatt old square
Hallstatt old square

View out from restaurant window
Pink HousesPink Houses
Pink Houses

For you and me


13th July 2010

LOVE the pics
Boy you guys sure do get around. I want to be you when I grow up. LOVE the HDR style, Howie. Not too artsy. It's almost surreal.
13th July 2010
Old city shopping street Salzburg

Above the masses?
Cool shot. Is that a looming mountainous cliff in the background?
14th July 2010

thanks
Thanks for sending your blog. It looks like a fantastic trip. Enjoy.
14th July 2010

Thank you Howard for these wonderful pictures !
14th July 2010

good photos from nice places i visited partly in younger years. good memories.
14th July 2010

Above the masses
Yes, looming mountains in the background!
15th July 2010

heya!
Salzburg is one of the most beautiful places i have ever visited and i described it so well, your pictures are also amazing. Congrats!!

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb