Calais to Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
September 17th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

September 14 - 16

This heading looks as though it is only two days - but I can assure you that it is not! Firstly, while Gail and Jeremy and Ian and Chris all started very early on 14 Sep in time to arrive at Dover by 0700 hrs, Camilla and I started the previous afternoon and camped near Dover so that we did not have a rush for the boat. We all met up on the dockside as planned for a punctual if uneventful crossing of the Channel. After refuelling in Calais for all the essentials, including diesel, we set off for Ostend, turned right and motored through Belgium and on into Germany. Rather dull scenery and boring roads and by late afternoon we started to run out of time. We had set ourselves a 4 pm cut off for travelling to allow time to find a campsite before it got too dark. No official campsites were forthcoming and we started to get close to running out of daylight when we turned off into a little village called Disternich. A man washing his car in his driveway was so helpful when we asked where we might camp to the extent that he drove ahead of us to a local farmer to whom he explained our problem. The farmer then drove ahead of us to a wonderful spot beside a broadleaf wood where he welcomed us to pitch our camp. We couldn’t have asked for anything nicer. Wonderful hospitality.
We spent a very comfortable night, albeit a little chilly, and were up and awake by 7 pm. Our learning curve was, and still is, very steep so it took us two hours to breakfast and pack up everything before getting on the road again. We soon joined the auto route from Koln to Heidelberg where we turned eastward to Nurnberg. All three cars performed excellently. They are quiet, comfy and so easy to drive. Mind you, the roads are excellent! We found out very quickly how important it is to travel with headlights on so that the lead car can check that the two following are in sight. Our walkie-talkies proved a boon too as we were able to keep in constant touch, discussing tactics, routes, menus and even jokes - the banter was often light-hearted, useful and fun! Our second night was in a campsite half way between Nurnberg and Regensburg, just off the motorway. It left a lot to be desired but for Euros 7.50 we did get respectable loos and hot showers. We travel alone, connected only by the radios, so at night we eat together. The three Mrs Hs have performed miracles over gas stoves and without all the usual home facilities.
I write this at the end of the third day, in a campsite very close to the Austrian/Hungarian border. It is well equipped with good washing facilities and not too crowded or noisy. We have covered just over 1000 miles from Shipton under Wychwood, the cars are wonderful, we have had blue skies the whole way and nobody has signs of scurvy. And we are still talking to each other as well. Long may this last.
Hamish




Advertisement



21st September 2007

so far....so good
good to hear you are all playing nicely! It seems everyone in Warwick had noticed Chris and Ian's car during the preparations, and since they left I have been constantly asked as to your welfare and progress. I shall log on and keep them updated. Keith

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb