Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

well our flight into Salzburg was pretty uneventful.

We had no clue how to get form the airport ot the trainstation (our hostel is right near it) and i must thank the lovely young lady from innsbruck who sat mext to me on the plane. she told us which bus we had to catch and where from. Lifesaver!

Our hostel is pretty nice.

Saturday June 2

got up this morning and had apple strudel from breakfast because it wasnt included in our hostel price.

spent most of the morning in an internet cafe booking flights etc. we then went on a hunt for a supermarket to get lunch. along the way we had a bratwurst hot dog (out of sheer starvation). never again.

we searched high and low and couldn't find an open supermarket. when faced with this situation what should you do? get on a train and cross the border into germany and a town called Berchtesgaden. we found a supermarket but our lack of cooking facilities limits us somewhat. had a look around town. the weather still isn#t very nice so there wasn#t much to see here today. another time perhaps.

Sunday June 3

Today was awesome. i got up this morning and went ofr a short run and then read my book for a bit over some muesli and a banana before bradley got up. we then explored town a little. took photos of the castles and then ventured to the ice caves.

important note: today i have climbed a mountain and once at the top i climbed 1400 (literally) stairs around an ice cave; of which i saw very little because all we were given was kerosene lamps which were really only useful to light our steps infront.



crossed back into germany today so that bradley could check his phone.


Monday June 4
went to Berchtesgaden again today. this time we went up to Kehlstein and the 'Eagle's Nest': a gift to hitler from the party for his 50th birthday. quite eerie to think hitler drove up those roads, and rode in the same gold lift with green leather that we did. the clouds cleared up a bit and we got an awesome view from the top.

VIENNA



Vienna is a nice city. first impressions were very parisian due to the colour of the buildings, but after being here for a while it now seems very eastern european. Went out with a heap of crew from the hostel tonight. 3 pubs the first was nice and quiet. second two were very busy. it was good to interact with locals and not travellers. unfortunately the locals i was talking to lived in Graz. Bummer, its still not switzerland and we don't have a local guide to show us around. i am surprised that people liken the two countries actually. they are totally different.

Tuesday June 4

our hostel guide forgot to tell us that the night bus number 64 goes in two directions. we got on the wrong one and had to get off two stops later. couldn't find another bus at that stop so we walked. important note: it was 7 train stops to where we were form our hostel. 12 kilometre walk back to the hostel was fun, especially without a map or any idea of the layout of the city. due to our exceptiobnal skill we were headin gin the correct direction and eventually made it back to our hostel at 5:30 this morning.

Wednesday June 5

we spent the day looking around town. there is a McDonalds evey two hundred metres its crazy. the gardens here are beautiful and so is the architecture. Vienna is definately not what i expected. it is a mix of Paris with the colour of the buildings, wide roads and the random smells all about. at the same time the train sytem is a bit of a mix between london and paris. Dublin also comes through a little with all the beggars and vagrants floating around, the only difference is that in Vienna everyone has dogs. Vienna redeemed Austria a little as there is an absolute plethora of supermarkets.



Thursday June 6

Austria has yet again tainted us with a lack of open supermarkets. it must be a public holiday today because nothing but fastfood outlets were open. spent alot of the day in one of the fantastic parks here waiting for the night time to come. tonight we get on a train to go to croatia via germany.



Advertisement



8th June 2007

i cant believe i missed you by only a couple of days. austria is cool but nothing compares to switzerland and the alps. i saw snow yesterday it was awesome!!!! enjoy the rest :)
9th June 2007

lots of walking
Good to see you are still doing lots of execise. Too much food and you may put on to much excess weight. have fun
9th June 2007

food
Buy some muslie bars when you find an open supermarket and some sultanas etc just ot keep your energy levels up!!! We are having pea and ham soup!! Hopefully we shall see photos soon I have bought you another CM album for the tour. I shall get another on at my party on Sunday. Do you think 4 will be enough? They hald aver 200 photo in each. lol Marmie

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb