200 Kilometers Per Hour


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 21st 2012
Published: June 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

That was the top speed of the train from Vienna to Salzburg which only made 2 stops over the course of the 2:45 trip. Train travel in Austria was really schwank and inexpensive if booked in advance on the internet. I did not spend enough time in Vienna as I was locked into the travel dates on the train as the major downside of getting the great deals online is that the tickets are non-refundable and the date/time cannot be changed.

Accomodation and Food I booked 3 nights at Ruthensteiner Hostel on their website for 16€/night (plus 1.50€ reservation fee) in what was supposed to be an 8 or 10 person dorm but I was upgraded to a 4 person room that I shared with only one other person. The hostel was super clean, quiet, well managed, and conveniently located a 10 minute walk from the Westbahnhof. Skip the undernourishing, undercaffeinating, 3.50€ breakfast and head a couple of blocks down Mariahilfer Straβe to the Anker bakery for a serious frühstück for the same price. Around the corner from the hostel are several kebab shops also the cheapest in all my travels in Austria - 2.90€ for the basic döner kebab. The kebab price is a fairly accurate barometer of general prices in a given Austrian city. A kebab in Salzburg from the shop close to the hostel was 3.20€ and Salzburg was a bit more expensive than Vienna. As I moved into the mountain towns of Bad Gastein and Innsbruck, the kebab price increased to 3.50€ and I was told in a climbing shop that Innsbruck is one of the most expensive places in Austria. They also said that anyplace in Austria beginning with Bad is going to be expensive. Bad means spa in German and the name is usually reserved for resort towns. I don't remember much more about dining in Vienna except that I took advantage of the hostel kitchen and nearby supermarket and Turkish run vegetable stand to cook pasta every night. Lunch was a brat or something equally quick while sightseeing.

Transport Fantastic subway system and a 24 hr pass was less than 7€. Arriving by train from Eastern Europe will most likely be at Sudbahnhof. Tram 18 connects directly to Westbahnhof where many hostels and kebab shops are located.


Schloss Schönbrunn IMO the best of the major palaces with the largest and most beautiful grounds. About a 20 minute walk from the hostel or take 2 subways and still a long walk from the last stop. Best to go as early in the morning as possible because of the sunlight direction vis á vis photography. Palace itself is a museum with ~10-11€ entry fee with guided tour.


Hofburg Right in the center of Vienna. Also a museum and library with ~10-11€ entry fee. Lit up at night, very beautiful, and a great spot to take pictures of Rathaus.

Palais Schwarzenberg and Belvedere Museum South of the center and also an easy walk. There is an art gallery with, yes, a 10-11€ entry fee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

SchönbrunnSchönbrunn
Schönbrunn

Neptune Fountain
HofburgHofburg
Hofburg

Advertisement for Gustav Klimt exhibit.


23rd June 2012

Hi
Hi Jon! Love all of your posts and especially the great photos! Sounds like you're having an awesome time. You are a "professional" traveler for sure. Sorry about the Celts.

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb