2018 Bucharest to Amsterdam


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
July 24th 2018
Saved: April 12th 2020
Edit Blog Post

July 24, 2018 Vienna, day 1. We were taken on a brief tour on the tram around the Ringstrasse, a road encircling the old city built where the medieval wall had been. Simon and I split from the main group and took the subway out to Schönbrunn Palace, the huge summer home of the Hapsburg rulers.The 1,441-room Rococo palace is one of the most important architectural, cultural, and historic monuments in the country and has extensive grounds and gardens. The interior is fabulous with large staircases; murals on walls and high ceilings; crystal chandeliers; many sculptures. Photography was strictly forbidden inside and we were unable to sneak any clandestine shots. Behind the palace is a vast triple promenade with islands of blooming flowers in patterns set in green lawns leading to a large pool with the tiered Neptune fountain, Neptune on top holding his trident surrounded by some dozen mythical beasts and humans. We took the subway back to city center and ate at one of the fast food eateries underground before heading to the Imperial Furniture Museum, an attractive modern building off the street on a small courtyard. The collection included many beautiful baroque objects, period rooms and some modern pieces. Next stop was The Hofburg Palace, the home of many Austrian rulers over the centuries and today the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria. There we visited the Imperial Silver Collection and the Sisi Museum, Sisi being Empress Elisabeth, the most beloved of all Austrian empresses.


Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

8th January 2020

Love your photos of the Schonbrunn Palace!
Thank you for sharing your blog...miss you guys...fond memories of riding on the Amsterdam canals!
9th January 2020

Thanks!
It's slow going but I am still working on the European river cruise blog and photos. Such good memories. I hope you two are well.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb