Vienna - our last stop


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 4th 2014
Published: June 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 4th June 2014



We were down at the port by 0930 and sat around for a while in the nearby park before going down to the pier where the ferry was to come in. It seemed that it would be late as it hadn't arrived when scheduled. We stood on the pier and started a conversation with tow American ladies - mother and daughter who were traveling together. The time soon went and just in time, the ferry pulled up, took all of about 20 passengers on board and left exactly on 1030 as scheduled.

The 90 min trip up the Danube River, against a strong current, went smoothly, the big diesel engines driving the water jets had the boat travelling at about 25 knots. There wasn't much scenery, mainly forest which grew to the water's edge, with the occasional fishing shack or weekender on the edge. We did see a castle and the old border crossing.

On reaching Vienna we walked across the road to the “U” sign and caught two sub way trains before alighting in the 7th District. From here it was a 15 minute walk along a road full of shops
Devin, with the Devin castle on the hill.Devin, with the Devin castle on the hill.Devin, with the Devin castle on the hill.

One of the few townships we saw on the banks of the Danube. not far from Bratislava. Although the castle has a history dating to 864AD it was largely destroyed by the Napoleonic Wars so is now just ruins.
and shoppers until we found the street our pension was on. The pension was a good 400m up the street but as we were walking on the shaded side it wasn't too bad. We believe the temperature here got to the low 30s C today, quite unexpected for us.

The Pension Pharmador has its entrance in a quiet courtyard and our room, not as opulent as the one in Bratislava, was a neat room on the 3rd floor. We gratefully dropped our luggage in the room, and after a quick freshen up and eating our home prepared lunch of fresh bread and cheese, we set off for the shops.

Neither of us was looking for anything in particular but we still managed to buy a few things like a shirt for Rags and a blouse for Judy. Whilst we were checking our map a lady came up and asked if we needed any help. We told her we were ok, just checking a few things, and she went away. A short time later she returned, telling us that we should go to the furniture shop she pointed out at the end of the street, go to the cafe
ViennaViennaVienna

West Bahnoff Train Station. This station also has a couple of storeys of retail stores.
on the 5th floor to enjoy the view over old Vienna.

We thanked her and went to have a look, a little bit dubiously as we weren't certain if the woman had ulterior motives. We judged her wrongly, the views from the cafe were worth seeing, and as she assured us, the drinks weren't expensive.

A shower and a change of clothes were had when we returned to the room, after which we looked for somewhere to eat. We checked out several places, didn't hear any English being spoken at any nor were the atmospheres inviting, and as we didn't want either pizza or fried food, so settled on the Vietnamese cafe near our pension. A tasty meal was had, followed by a brisk walk to settle our stomachs.

Socially the area seemed very quiet, so we returned to our room and spent the rest of the evening planning and working on our laptops.



Thursday 5th June 2014



The Pension provided a good breakfast, muesli, fruit andyoghurt followed by scrambled egg, cheese, meats (and the ubiquitous tomato and cucumber if wanted) with a delicious nutty bread. Good coffee followed.

Today
Vienna Vienna Vienna

We gave a donation to the organ grinder and he insisted we play it whilst he took the photo
we set out with no set destination in mind, just the “inner ring” of the city. On the way out we bought a 48 hour transport pass which gives unlimited use of train, tram and bus travel in the city area, plus to the airport. Caught the subway in to Stephansplatz and we were in the middle of it all.

This place is mind-blowing with all its elegant old buildings, churches, museums, palaces etc. We wandered around from one place to the next, enjoying the crowds and the atmosphere. Several of the places were repeats of our earlier visits, but we didn't remember much about about them, just recognised the name. The big square where we enjoyed the Christmas Markets in 2007 were set up with stalls similar to then, only with different products. We decided they must be there permanently, just changed according to the season.

Of course we got lost, as usual, but we didn't care, we had our transport paid for and we had nowhere in particular we wanted to go. Away from the very touristy area, Vienna seemed depending on mainly tourism from what we could see, the shops became a little more interesting
Vienna Vienna Vienna

This mural on the steps of the painting by Albrecht Durer was admired by all. Walking down the steps you couldn't see a thing!
in that they they were selling more mundane goods, and at more realistic prices.

We had a meal at a local pub, this wasn't as good as we expected with the meal somewhat dry and not as tasty as some we have had. We soon walked the meal off, then Judy, who has become the expert at reading transport maps, guided us onto a tram on which we stayed for 4 or 5 stops, then to another tram, which eventually dropped us off very near to our room. Just as well, our feet were killing us. We'd lasted til almost 4pm today - not bad for a couple if oldies!

Whilst Judy stayed in the room to do some of her university tutoring work, as she is in the start of a new term with a new group, Rags went off to buy some refreshments. On the way he dropped into a shop he had spotted earlier, which sold electric bikes. Some time later he left, in raptures! They had the most up to date bikes he has seen, German made, giving him lots of ideas. He felt that if he was younger, he could start a business
ViennaViennaVienna

Stephansplatz at night
back home selling some of the units he saw.

A few cooling beers back at the room whilst both of us were on our laptops brought our afternoon to a close.

A couple of hours later we felt up to going out again, so back on the tram. As it was our last chance to have a nice dinner we stopped at the Leopold cafe where we enjoyed a couple of liver dishes washed down by a dark beer and wine. From here it was a short stroll to Stephansplatz to see how it looks when it gets dark. Vienna was alive with people all out enjoying the balmy evening. Some of the buildings looked fabulous with their lights on in the dark. Whilst walking down one pedestrian mall we came to the realisation that this is where we walked on Christmas evening back in 2001, when Judy saw snow fall for the first time.



Friday 6th June 2014




Today was our last day here in Vienna and as we don't leave until late this evening we made the most of it. The people at the pension were very obliging, first
ViennaViennaVienna

Haydn's statue is in front of this impressive building
extending our check-out until 1400 and after we changed our minds stored our luggage in a secure area. We first had a big breakfast, repacked our bags for the trip home before setting off for some late shopping and to see a few things we had missed.

Judy decided that the she would buy the bag she saw yesterday, now all that had to be done was find it again! After a good 45mins of walking up and down streets we found the shop on the third we tried. The bag was still there and she walked away, happy with her purchase. To celebrate we had lunch at the NordZee cafe, one we had enjoyed on a previous visit. This one was a little disappointing, the staff looked as if they had the world on their shoulders, service was brusque to put it mildly, and we walked away feeling it was nicer and better value the last time.

We caught the tram to the Belvedere Palace area, enjoying walking through the immaculate gardens and admiring the exterior of the fine buildings with their ornate sculptures. We didn't enter the buildings themselves, we have seen enough of this type of decoration and furnishings this trip, and not prepared to pay over 25 euros each for the privilege.

By now it was late-afternoon, our legs exercised enough for the time being, so we made our way back to the pension, only stopping for a coffee at the ever-present Maccas. These seem to be everywhere but at least they are prevented from displaying huge signs on their premises, they are quite discrete in advertising. This is apparent in all of Vienna, one isn't bombarded by visual overload from neon and other garish signs.

We both appreciate Vienna more than we did previously, we now feel it is a vibrant place to be, safe, with friendly people, and old and interesting buildings wherever you look.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

View from the catamaran: almost in ViennaView from the catamaran: almost in Vienna
View from the catamaran: almost in Vienna

There were lots of these little fishing huts along the water's edge and not far from Vienna.
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Mary the Victorious Church which has the second tallest dome structure of any of Vienna's churches. We saw it from a distance as the church's height is 68 metres and kept walking until we got there and also managed a peek inside.
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Josef Haydn, the composer
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Cafe with a view
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Part of the view
ViennaVienna
Vienna

The beautiful museum
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Judy almost bought several of these relatively expensive candles, which can be twisted and shaped around the dinner table. Then discovered they were made from beeswax. Aust Quarantine would have a few things to say!
Vienna Vienna
Vienna

Another beautiful building
Vienna Vienna
Vienna

Parliament House
Vienna Vienna
Vienna

Rags' pub meal of pork, sauerkraut and potato dumplings was too much to finish.
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Stephansplatz at night


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb