Eurorail Trip Day 19


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 24th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was going to be long and hectic and so we got up and got checked out as fast as our tired little bodies would allow.


We meet Thomas and headed straight for the most popular must see in Vienna, the Stephenplatz... this is Vienna’s cathedral in the middle of the city. It is rather amazing not as big as the one in Germany but rather pretty inside  we got that one done with pretty quick as the tourist of there in the millions and it is kind of hard to spend all day walking around a church when you have to be silent!


We then moved on to see some of the most amazingly huge buildings we have seen in our whole trip... he buildings in Vienna are old, large and so pretty. Unfortunately at the theatre there was no chance to get the whole building as the gardens were closed off because of storm damage to a lot of the trees.... now you understand how bad the storm was last night. Anyway we then took the ring tram (that is a tram that goes in a circle around all the sight sin the city) to the town hall. This was a pretty spectacular building however the Austrians had decided it was a good weekend for there to be a movie festival and so you will see in all the pictures that there is a huge ginormous screen covering he front of the building.


We then caught the tram to a very famous church that is a miniature copy on the St Peters basilica in Rome. It was quite pretty and the most entertain part thus far about Vienna has to have been that on almost every street corner there is a park or some kind of green area to chill in. It is very pretty.

We grabbed a snack in the park on the way to our next destination that was the rather long underground journey out to see the UN head quarters building and then the Danube in Austria. We decided to make a little stop at the Danube as Ricky spotted a little restaurant right on the water very similar to the Brass bell (from those of you in South Africa). After our 40 minute walk to get to the restaurant and find out how to get there rather, we sat down and had a well deserved beer/ drink and spied some seafood 



we had to eat and so order a salad and some grilled Calamari! If I can say this is the best food we have had the whole trip I am not lying! Hmmmmm so good and so fresh and just stunning.
After lunch we had to make our way back to the hostel and look for souvenirs. That was almost as disaster and after a half an hour walk down the street by our station thank goodness we find one little shop that had what we wanted. So we rushed back to the hostel so we could catch the train to Bratislava at 5 ish. Unfortunately for us Gail got the times wrong and we were ready o go to the train station an hour before necessary! Damn


Anyway we made it to the train and said our sad good byes to Thomas! Thank you for showing us around your lovely city and taking time out of your life to help us too.
The train to Bratislava, Slovakia was only and hour and it went very fast. And before we knew we were arriving somewhere we didn’t want to be from the looks of the station... wow the station is dirty, horribly dodgy looking and really made us wish we could get back on the train to Vienna!



We managed to decipher and found our way to the hostel, with much asking and guessing too. Thank goodness it was only about 6ish at night and not to dark and loads of ppl were about. The directions for this one were very good and so we got there pretty quickly.


The hostel was okay and not fantastic but also not to bad either, a bed to sleep in and shower to wash in that was clean enough. We had a relaxing evening grabbed some MacDonald’s to eat and went to sleep as we were both quite knackered and not in the mood to sight see anything tonight.

Till we meet tomorrow...



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb