Rob walking tour in Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 1st 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

I figured since kim (the garmin technically) has been doing most of the navagation throughout the cities we have visited, today in Vienna I took the reigns to guide us through what i called the 'Rob walking tour." Now maps can be tricky. You never really know how far something really is since there all maps have different scales, versions, etc, etc. So what looked like only 2 inches of walking turned out to be a bit more. I got a bit over zelous trying to get us to a park and took us 'slightly' of the way. But in the end we pushed through it, only fighting seven times along the way. It's a beautiful city where pretty much every building looks like the Field Museum. Not as big of course but that style. Had I taken an architecture class in college I might know the term. Lots of grandure i guess you could say. We also found a music festival which in Europe this time of year is like throwing darts at a building. You can't miss. Classic music, great food and tons of smokers. (It's Kim now) It's funny because at this festival there were all types of food - so of course I went Asian. I'm sitting there eating my chicken and rice in Austria, watching a film of Louis Armstrong! Aside from the beautiful buildings I could have been back home.

Day two we headed out to the beach. Which is just a river, but a clean river. Tons of locals, which we like, since it's nearly off the beaten path. For some reason people there think that if your child is under I don't know, 3 years old, that they don't need a bathing suit. So lots of naked kids running around the beach. OKay it wasn't really a beach, just a bunch of pebbles but it was cool to see how the Austrians enjoy the leisure. At the music festival again for Asian food... hey I've been in Europe for over 3 weeks now I needed something else!

We changed our travel plans for day three, we were supposed to head to Prague but decided to go on a day trip to Budapest. Who knows if we'll ever be back here so we decided to go for it! We joined the ranks of those that enjoy traveling by air conditioned tour bus... and it wasn't that bad! There are two parts to Budapest - get this - the Buda side to the river and the Pest side to the river. "Ladies and Gentleman, please prepare your cameras" we heard probably 100 times that trip. I was expecting a dirty and more authentic city, but it was pretty modernized. They had Louis Vuitton!! Hahah. We had a great Hungarian lunch including beef goulash - which apparantly I eat now! Budapest has the 2nd largest Synagoge in the world (next to New York) - we didn't have time to go in but it's sad to think that now the Jewish population is less than 5% there and they have that large of a Synagoge. Some other random facts are that out of all the European languages, the Hungarian language relates only to Finnish language, they have 120 natural hot springs in Budapest, the chain bridge there was built by the same architect as the Eifel tower, and Hungarian wine is world-renowned. Once back in Vienna we stopped by a beerhaus for some sausage and weinerschintzel, it was inside an amusement park so Rob was in heaven. That was it for Vienna, onto Prague the next day!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb