Day 46 - Vienna, Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
May 12th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Morning: Woke up at 9:30am and slowly got ready to go out cos today is going to be packed to the brim w activities. We finally left at about 11am and took the bus to St Charles church to start things off, didnt really go inside cos we had to pay to go in and we didnt have the mood to do that. Then we walked to the Naschmarkt where it was really crowded with lots of food stalls and a huge flea market behind it. Ended up buying 2 bags at the flea market and spending too much time there till it´s about 1pm.

Afternoon: Then we moved on to the Museum Quartier and it´s a really nice and arty atmosphere in the quarters w people busking in the bright sun on purple stone huge benches all over and we have to sit down for a coffee to join in. We continued on to look at the magnificent Rathaus and then the Parliament which seems to be having a concert being set up right in front of it, so we can´t really go near it. We then crossed the street to look at the Burgtheatre and really luckily, we are jus in time for their English tour at 4pm so we didnt hesitate to join in. The lady gave a very precise history of the Burgtheatre and allowed us to take photos of the beautiful interior of the theatre hall, got to know more about their famous artists like Gustav Klimt, his brother Ernst Klimt and his bro-in-law Franz Matsch as they painted the ceiling of the staircases in the theatre when they were only in their early twenties! After an hour´s tour, we felt rejuvenated to take the tram 1 to make a circle around the Ringstrasse of Vienna to get an idea of the geography of the city. Indeed very beautiful and arty Vienna! After finishing the circle tram tour, we alighted and had a quick delicious snack and walked back to take the bus, along the way we passed thru the 2 huge architecture of the Art History Museum (Kunsthistoriches Museum) and Natural History Museum (Naturhistoriches Museum). We have to reach back at about 7pm so we quickly caught the bus and went back to join Daniel and his friend Florian to drive down to a small village off Vienna for a dinner gathering with their friends.

Night: We had to squeeze into their small car and it was a nice road trip that took us thru vineyards and wineries and we even stopped at a nice church to look around for a while before continuing to find the elusive restaurant. Got lost for a few times and finally we reached the restaurant and we are the first ones to arrive. It´s a dinner gathering of different people and their friends so everybody is kind of new here, so we feel more at ease talking to them. Most of them arrived about half hour later and some of them came from France, Germany and even America so we started chatting and eating the Viennese food and drinking their wine. We ended the night at about 10pm and we said our goodbyes and drove back home. Pretty tiring day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



17th May 2008

cathedral
Hey I just wanted to say that "your" cathedral is the city hall of vienna. Apart from this, nice blog!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathaus%2C_Vienna
17th May 2008

Oops! Thanks for the correction, sorry i wasn´t good in remembering certain places, or rather too many places in Vienna makes me confused...

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb