A trip to Wine country


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 19th 2005
Published: June 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Vienna and checked into Wombats youth hostel. It is a very nice, clean place with ensuit bachrooms in rooms of four. It is an excellent hostel with nice staff. They have many recommendations on what to see. I spent the rest of the day walking around Vienna, taking in the sites. Vienna was very nice since it has such a different style than everywhere else I have been. I went to see Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral) and although it was a gothic style chuch, the decor on the inside was very different and was stunning.

After spending a day exploring the city of Vienna I decided to have a change of pace and took a trip to the Austrian wine country. I joined up with the "grape grazing tours". They drove us to the Wachau Valley, which was amazing. The vineyards were on a large hill, and along the path up the hill there they had 9 different stands that had samples of wine from each of the vineyards, with each stand having five to nine different wines. The wines were amazing, they each had their distince characteristics and flavours. My favorite was the wine made with the Musketal grapes. It was a semi-sweet wine with a hint of sparking. Very nice.

I was also able to bike between several towns in the vally, all of which were stunning. The towns were very small and were a very old style. They were beautiful just to wander around. That night we went up a hill to have a bar-b-que and watch as they sent thousands of floating candles down the Danube and each village was lighting off fireworks. This was the celebration for the longest day of the year. It was a great day away form the city.

Advertisement



19th June 2005

Nice depiction
Great blog... a beautiful depiction blogizen
21st June 2005

excellence
I must say that reading your depictions of Europe so far has been exciting. I cant wait to see where you go next and what adventures you do. Next time you go traveling, I may come. ;)
22nd June 2005

Great Journal
Michael..You sound like you are having a great time. Been keeping up with your journal and sounds like you are eating well and enjoying the sights. Pics are great too. Hope you get this entry as I have posted a few but never see them...Have fun .AuntE

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb