Merry Christmas


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Reutte
December 25th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Merry Christmas



There’s not much to say today because Christmas is a day for resting, so sorry this entry is so short.

After our usual German breakfast we decided we needed some exercise to ensure that we didn’t feel completely inert today. So off we went for some morning adventure.

Today we headed across the border to Reutte, Austria in hopes of seeing some of the ruins of old castles from the area. After about a 20 minute drive we ended up in a parking lot in a snowy field right outside of Reutte. From there we walked across the fields to an icy path up into the hills.

As seems to be the case in the Alps, nothing is ever short or flat. After an hour of walking we came to the museum (closed due to the holidays) and a view of the ruins of the castles which were on top of the mountain closest to us. After seeing Neuschwanstein castle the day before, the ruins were a little disappointing. Even though they were the real thing and much older than the slightly contrived Neuschwanstein, King Ludwig’s creation makes other castles look puny in relation.

We walked for another hour and enjoyed the beauty that is nature in the Alps. Frozen trees, snowy fields and beautiful mountains at every turn made the walk worthwhile. But, after another hour of walking we were cold and decided it was time to head home.

After our hour or more return walk (always shorter downhill) and short drive home, we got lunch at one of the only restaurants open in Fussen, a pizzeria. The salad Kel had was great but the pizza I had was awesome!! Kel agrees, hers was good but mine was great.

Since then we have pretty much been lazy. Kel called her parents for Christmas while I posted the last few days’ blogs. While downstairs I ran into a couple who were traveling for Christmas and New Years. Brooks and Leigh were really fun and had been traveling for about a week. We’ve met so many cool people on the road…if you read this Brooks and Leigh…thanks for killing time with me!!

Soon we’ll head off to dinner. Hope you all had a great Christmas! We miss you all!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



26th December 2006

Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas, Team Turner!! Looks like you all continue to have an amazing time. We're thinking of you and missing you over the holidays. Happy '07 and keep the amazing pics coming! Much love!!

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb