Via Ferrata Adventure


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Landeck
January 11th 2012
Published: January 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We just got back from our via ferrata adventure. It was a BEAUTIFUL day for it; a bright blue sky and crisp white snow. The lift to get to the start of the climb had been closed for the last week due to serious snow. We were lucky that it just reopened this morning. Unfortunately that meant there was a LOT of snow, waist deep or higher in most areas. For those who don't know what via ferrata is (like us 3 months ago), there are cables bolted throughout the mountains that were put there during the wars. Their purpose was for spying and allowing exits from the villages.

We took the gondolas and chairlifts to the start where we left our skis and poles. By this point we already had our harnesses and slings with carabiners (clips) on them. We did the climb with our ski boots, clipping into the fixed cales. We were also roped up, as some some places the entire cable was buried beneath a few feet of snow. Because of all the snow we weren't even able to get to the first peak... it took too long tramping through the snow and there was a pretty big cornice that may not have been safe to cross. Plus I think the guide was bored with us. We're pretty sure he didn't want to be guiding us and would have preferred to be off piste skiing with his buddies.

The climb itself was pretty cool. I wasn't able to use too much of my climbing 'skills' as the snow was so deep that there were no rocks visible or diggable. There were a few steeper parts with exposed rocks that we 'climbed'. It is much more difficult in ski boots that don't bend, but the plastic bit at the front of the boot is great for standing on small toeholds.

We got back to the piste around 3pm and the guide spent the next 30 minutes yelling at me to ski faster and not take any breaks. We were NOT impressed! We paid him and then headed to the top on our own for a more relaxing last run. I think he understood we were not pleased with him when we said we were going to head up on our own. We got some incredible photos on top then headed back to Landeck for our last Austrian dinner of the trip.

The night before we had found a quaint out of the way place with big portions of meat and other delicious food. We wanted to go back there but they were closed so we ended up going to the big hotel in town (only place open) and had a pretty good dinner. I got gulash with big dumplings in a great sauce and Brad had schnitzel. We both had tasty garlic soup to start.

As I'm sure you've figured out it is now the next day and we're on our way to Munich to drink beer and eat sausages!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb