Innradweg Day 2 to Kufstein


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Kufstein
September 3rd 2018
Published: September 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

We've had the perfect biking day today. It was coolish but not cold and the bike trail went through some beautiful countryside.

The Zillertal valley that we left is well worth returning to but time does not permit to explore it. Out of Strass we passed several ruins and castles until we reached Rattenberg which we stopped at to view the notable old town dating back to the 12th century. On the hill behind the town is a ruined castle or fort below which is the small but delightful town complete with alleys, cobbled streets, archways and a touristy main street with many glassware shops. We indulged in a very nice "kaffe und kuchen" from Hackers which is renowned for it's lovely cakes and pastries.

From hereon it was full speed ahead through lovely countryside until we got back to the motorway, railway and river. We seem to passing over, under and alongside one or the other until we got back to river trail. We eventually arrived in Kufstein at 2pm to our very old accommodation in the town. It's adequate but not up to the standard of the last few nights.

Kufstein is worth a visit and
Rattenberg townRattenberg townRattenberg town

This is the back view of the Old Town along the river. note the ruined fort above the town in the forest
even though the old town is lovely, the town is mainly all about the Fortress above the town. It looked impossible to conquer because it sits on an island of rock and has very thick walls. It is known for having the largest outdoor organ in the world and even though we could see the organ we couldn't see where it would sound from. I'd love to be able to hear it but there didn't appear to be much action at present. We bought entry tickets and caught the small cable lift up the fort. Amazingly, it appeared that there had been a really old lift to the fort made of a huge wheel which no doubt hauled up something by rope. The fort is huge and has many parts to it including a museum for the town history dating back to Neolithic times. It also contained a 10 room prison built by a king to contain important prisoners. It must have been a miserable place to be in the round tower apart from the marvellous view.

Back at the town below we did a historic walk by circling the fort hill and reading about the various historic incidents
Kufstein FortKufstein FortKufstein Fort

Looking up to the fort from the bottom of the lift cable way
along the way. The interest in this town is essentially the dominant fort and the old town immediately below which isn't very big. Outside of this, the buildings are 17th century and modern.

Food essentials of the day have been the tasty cake, a citron and mango gelato, and a schnitzel dinner. These are nice, but there isn't the variety that we are used to at home. Or not so far. Oh, for a good old kiwi pie or a roast meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb