Heading To Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
October 20th 2008
Published: October 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Three Countries CornerThree Countries CornerThree Countries Corner

The point where Switzerlan, Germany and France meet
We packed up all our gear and Nikki, said our goodbyes to Michael and headed off to Innsbruck in Austria. But first we made a detour to the point in Basel were the three countries of Switzerland, Germany and France all meet. We drove across the German border to a footbridge across the Rhine. Here we walked from Germany into France and back without any checkpoints. We called into a nearby supermarket and stocked up on supplies, before heading off to Austria.

The scenery was very spectacular along the way and drove through so many tunnels that we lost count, the longest was almost 14km long.

Again we were waved on through the border by the guards and again we embarrassed Nikki by stopping to get our passports stamped. The freeways in Austria are generally much wider that those in Switzerland and the speed limit was 130km, dropping down to 80k in tunnels where the traffic was two way.

We arrived in Innsbruck after a 5 hour drive (with a few stops along the way). We found our hotel after we drove along a narrow little country road, probably 15 minutes out of Innsbruck, nestled in a beautiful farming valley. We had a quick look around Innsbruck, will go back there tomorrow. Found a nice little Italian place for tea. Nikki and I had a delicious creamy curry chicken and pineapple risotto, Mark had gnocci which was also delicious.


Weather: Started out overcast, but became sunny and fine in the afternoon - 15C.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



29th October 2008

Wow!
Your photos are amazing, Mark. I love the commentary too--I feel like I'm travelling with you all. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb