Christmas eve


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
December 24th 2011
Published: December 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We drove to the train station to collect the Light of Bethlehem - a flame that made a pilgrimage from Bethlehem to all around the world (although customs in Australia would probably extinguish the flame for health and safety reasons).

We took our candle and dropped in on Thomas' aunt and uncle, and some friends to distribute the flame. Tradition has it sitting at the front door.

We put the Christmas tree up - a real spruce.

We went to a church service in Alt Aussee, the local village. For a non denominational character such as me, it was still a very moving experience. The church itself was stunning. We stood outside before the service began and had a heated mulled wine to keep us warm, sold by local kids. We listened to the choir and orchestra play while we waited, a social event in itself with the other locals.

Inside now for the service, ancient paintings, statues, much gild and beauty took my breath away. The music was truly wonderful, uplifting and enlivening (thankfully - the stone floors made for a chilly experience and the steam coming from everyone's mouths was an interesting experience in itself).

Home again, and in the evening we lit the real candles on the tree. Sehr schon. We exchanged gifts and I received some lovely pearl earrings, some books on the local area, and skiing lessons!!! Yes, these will start on 1 January (in the after noon for recuperation reasons.)

Frohliche Weihnachten zu alles.

Merry Christmas to all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb