Why Ski Down The Slopes When You Can Coast Down?


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Zell am See
August 11th 2011
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Zell am See LakeZell am See LakeZell am See Lake

The lake near to Zell am See.
The plan for today was to visit Kaprun and Zell am See and unlike the week so far the weather was fantastic. The first stop was the Alpine Coaster in Kaprun. This is basically a roller-coaster on what I’m sure was the nursery slope when I came to Kaprun skiing about 20 years ago.

We then decided to drive up to the Mooserboden Reservoir and Dam, which is near Kaprun. Since I missed out on a tour of the Hoover Dam and the Glen Canyon Dam last year , it was a good opportunity to finally visit one. However, I was to be disappointed again as the queues when we got there were out of this world, so we decided not to bother.

On the way down we drove past a large series of car parks, so we thought that we would find out what was there. These were for the cable cars to the glacier, where there is all year round skiing. We were not exactly dressed for the glacier, let alone for skiing, and we had visited a glacier in Canada four years ago, so we also decided to give that a miss.

It was interesting
Alpine CoasterAlpine CoasterAlpine Coaster

The Alpine roller-coaster on the slopes near Kaprun.
to see that the railway was still there, which we had used to get to the glacier when I had previously been there skiing. I remember hearing about the fire in which a number of skiers died about 10 years ago, and it has been closed ever since.

We then drove to Zell am See for a walk around part of the lake – it is way too big to walk all the way around. After that, plus a quick walk around the town, we drove back to Rauris and tried out the outdoor swimming pool now that it’s finally warm enough.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb