City of the Salt Castle


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 19th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mirabell GardensMirabell GardensMirabell Gardens

A photo of the formal gardens.
Geo: 47.7994, 13.044

After reluctantly leaving Hallstatt, we headed for Salzburg, which means "Salt Castle". In the early centuries, Salzburg derived all of its wealth from the salt trade.

We each bought a 48 hour Salzburg Card, which basically provides free access to all transport and attractions in the city. Very good value.

We first caught the bus into the Old City from our Pension (Guest House in German). The buses are all electric and draw their power from overhead cables. Very modern, regular, clean and efficient, just what you would expect from Austria. We first walked down the Getreidegasse, a famous street closed to vehicles where all of the shops are world class brands and each has an individual medieval type sign above it's door.

We then walked to the Mirabell Palace and Gardens, built for the Mistress of the then King of Austria. She had thirteen children to the Prince, so I guess she needed a Palace and gardens. The gardens are stunning, as you will see from the blog photo. They include the fountain that is in Sound of Music (Do-Re-Me).

From there we walked to Mozart's Family Home, which contained many original furniture items, letters and instruments. The Mozart
The "Do-Re-Me" Fountain in Mirabell GardensThe "Do-Re-Me" Fountain in Mirabell GardensThe "Do-Re-Me" Fountain in Mirabell Gardens

Looking up to Hohensalzburg Fortress.
Family were a 17th Century “Von Trapp” family, with his father and sister also being very talented musicians in their own right. The three of them used to travel around Europe by carriage on rough roads to perform. Mozart was a freak. He was writing and performing complex Sonatas at the age of eight.

We then took the lift up to the Museum of Modern Art and looked at an exhibition of video "stills" of famous people. We then walked around the top of the hill to visit Hohensalzburg Fortress, which was fascinating. We took a walking tour of the palace, which took us through the torture chamber, state rooms and the viewing platform at the top of the fortress. At one time the fortress was besieged by an army, and the people were starving and down to one bull left to eat. The King had a brilliant idea to parade the bull in front of the army besieging the fortress, then paint it a different colour and parade it the next day, and the same the next day. The besieging army withdrew and the people were saved. The fortress itself is virtually impregnable.

After a big day, It was time
Mozart Family HomeMozart Family HomeMozart Family Home

Mozart's Family Home
to head back to our Pension.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hohensalzburg Fortress Hohensalzburg Fortress
Hohensalzburg Fortress

which overlooks the city of Salzburg.
View of Salzburg View of Salzburg
View of Salzburg

from Hohensalzburg Fortress.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb