The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
September 30th 2006
Published: October 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Quick Notes:

1. Shout out to Caroline for leaving us fun comments and correcting our music knowledge. She get many European points

2. Austria gets an A from us - good food, lots of meat, great beer, very clean, nice people (even though the reputation is otherwise), fun castles, beautiful mountains, good public transportation....you get the idea.

3. Beer never tastes better than after 10 days in wine country and a 9 hour drive.

4. Did you know that Mozart was from Salzburg (insert huge dose of sarcasm here)??? Because if you didnt, youre reminded about it on every block - visit mozarts birthplace, his early years apartment, his first piano, his first concert hall, his first etc, etc, etc.

5. Editorial notes - in German speaking countries the kezboard is verz different. its crayz. most noteablz, the y and z are switched and this has been causing us lots of problems. please excuse tzpos. Also, we havent been able to find the apostrophe button, so please excuse mistakes. its not like weve forgotten how to tzpe English.

Woke up in Cinque Terre and decided to make the day a driving day. We planned to make it to Northern Italy, but it didnt really take that long so we kept going. so then we were going to stop in Innsbruck for a night before going to Salzburg, but again, it was still early, so we kept going all the way to Salzburg. It was a long day, but there is a lot to see in Salzburg so we were glad to get the long trip out of the way. Indulged in some Weinerschnitzel and Bratwurst for dinner, with beer of course.

First full day in Salzburg, we toured the town and saw the famous Salzburg fortress and the house Mozart grew up in. We had a delicious authentic Austrian lunch...not really sure what we had, but it was really good. We were happy to be back in a country where they eat meat and not just carbs (italy). Also went to a beer garden, but were informed it was not the correct one to try in the city so we made it our duty to find the right one the next day.

Matts Birthday (the 28th) and one of our favorite days so far. went to Hellbrun castle where this crazy ruler made his gardens have trick fountains so his guests would be squirted with water when they visited him. the technology of the place was amazing considering it was built in the 1800s. so much fun and would recommend it to anyone! then took a cable car ride to the top of a mountain and looked down from 5000 feet onto salzburg before going to the "correct beer hall". now this was definitely the right place- it was packed and they served liters of beer. thats approximatelz 2-3 glasses of american beer. the place is called Augustiner beerhaus--very fun. we topped off our evening with a great dinner at a restaurant near our campground were I tried Goulash, a typical Austrian and Hungarian dish. so good. some sort of a tomato base or something, but yum! have been looking for it since....

Woke up and drove to a small town outside Salzburg called Zell am See which is a beautiful little town surrounded by mountains right on a turquoise blue lake. very cute. we walked around for a bit and had lunch, then went back.

Woke up and headed for OKTOBERFEST where we had reservations...




Advertisement



2nd October 2006

Cortina, Italy
If you have a chance, visit Cortina Italy. I don't think it's far from Innsbruck. It's where Keith, my parents and I all went for a week with WFNX on a ski trip. There is a bar in town that is owned by crazy Russians. You'll know it by the monkey hanging on the wall. Tell them the Crazy WFNX Djs from Boston sent you.....then ask for Statue of Liberty shots and they'll remember. (That's where you dip your finger in 151, light it on fire, do the rest of the 151 shot, and then put your finger in your mouth). Cortina is also where CLIFFHANGER was filmed. A Sly Stallone classic! Live it! It's also where an American Fighter jet went hot dogging and broke the line that carried a bunch of skiiers to the top of the mountain, killing all aboard. Hmm....don't bring that up. It's also where one of the Winter Olympics was held. Not sure which. The best part is that it's this small little town in the valley of the mountains with not much around it, but it boasts stores filled with Versace. And don't forget to try the Grappa if you go. It will put hair on your chest! (You too Christina). I'm still trying to get rid of mine. (gross - kidding of course).
3rd October 2006

Tippen zie englisch?
If it wasn't the keyboard, we would just assume you were enjoying Oktoberfest a lot. Yes, international keys are amusing, especially those Taiwanese ones. Hey, can I jack up my score by posting nothing but "LOL!" and "LMAO!" all over the place? Speaking of Salzburg, we will be enjoying Oktoberfest happy hour at Cafe' Mozart in DC. We'll make a toast for you two with our XXL mugs.
3rd October 2006

Zell am See!
I LOVE ZELL AM SEE! We happened upon it by chance after spending time in Salzburg. I'm so jealous you guys are there! It's BEAUTIFUL! :-)

Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb