A Day trip to Salzburg from Munich, Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
September 23rd 2010
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our trip to Munich we ended up taking two day trips outside the city. The first was to Neuschwanstein and the second was to Salzburg. We didnt' take any tours in Munich because like it was very straight forward to navigate. The day trips can end up being costly, and as we found the methods to get there are the same as what we ended up taking. You don't need a passport to cross the border.

We took the train from Munich to Salzburg. The trip was relativly cheap and take about 2-3 hours one way to get there. We were going to take the hop on/hop off bus to take us to the site but we ended up missing the bus and didn't want to wait for the next one. So we ended up walking and walking! I would recommend taking a taxi to centre of town, since the city so small, the distance is very small.

There are a few key things to see in Salzburg, Mozarts home (Imbergstrabe), the sound of music (my favourite- Leopoldskron) and the castle (Festungsberg).

We walked along the Salzach river which is s a beautiful walk. You can see on the walk the city below which gives you wonderful views. The river boats are quite busy taking people on river cruises. Since it was Octoberfest, Salsburg also had it's own octoberfest going on as well. A small little fair at the foot of the castle. Lovely. At the castle you can go up to the top (which we did) and see the Austrian landscape. Very green and fertile. We also managed to see the puppet gallery in the castle which was fun.

The palace of the sound of music. I totally LOVE that movie and was thrilled to be there walking in the same courtyard that the von trap family were ( yes i know they were actors). It was fantastic. If you love this movie, this is a MUST.

The high street is quite small and quaint. The city is small. We had a lovely lunch of schnitzel and struddel. Two things Austria is known for. There are many great little resturants you can choose from in the high street.

I wouldn't recommend walking in the city last at night by yourself. Like any urban area some parts of the city can be lonely.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb