14th Aug - St Gilgen


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
August 14th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sound of Music ChurchSound of Music ChurchSound of Music Church

where the Baron married Maria
Hello again from the camping ground Wolfgangsee in Lindendstrand, St Gilgen. This is our best camping ground yet - free HOT showers, cheap, heaps of room, sunny weather, and a lake to swim in right by the camping ground - all found by accident!
We left Salzburg this morning and ending up in Mondsee. Here we got to see more exciting Sound of Music filming locations. We went to the Mondsee Cathedral where the wedding scene between Maria and the Baron was filmed in the movie. The Cathedral was very impressive inside with lots of statues and paintings and gold coloured things that glittered in the light. After taking photos, along with all the old people, we thought we better move on. We had a wonder around the little town - so much nicer then Salzburg, or at least we think the smaller towns are way nicer.
We drove on around the lake to another lake town - St Gilgen. This was also where a lot of the filming was done in the first scenes - you know the ones...”The hills are alive, with the Sound of Music - ahhhhhhh,ahhhahhhhahhhhh”. Anyway, this town was also quite cute so we parked and had a look around. Lots of nice old buildings, cute cafes, homemade ice-cream etc. After we finished looking we decided to head around to another one of the small lake towns, but instead found this camping ground and decided to stay put since it was so nice. We sat down by the lake today - Daniel even had a swim, it was too cold for me - not over 20oC in the water. The scenery is lovely - a beautiful blue clear lake, mountains surrounding us, blue sunny sky.....ahhhh the life of a tourist!
Oh yeah - you know that ad with the guy in the speedo’s...togs, togs, undies, undies etc - well round here it’s undies, undies, undies!!!!!! Urgh!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th August 2008

Lidl!
I see from your plastic bag you have discovered the Lidl supermarkets!! Most disorganised supermarkets ever! Do they still charge for plastic bags?
20th August 2008

Lidl
Yip - all supermarkets charge for bags so we have our trusty big plastic bag!
25th August 2008

Crikey
Crikey guys wots wif all dis sound of music rigramole?totally unlike you Dan...thats a chick flick mate, stay well away!!!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb