Big P's European adnenture Ch. 4- Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 7th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Salzburg/View of the Old town and FortressSalzburg/View of the Old town and FortressSalzburg/View of the Old town and Fortress

View from the bridge crossing the river leaving the old town Salzburg area.
Well, while in Munich, a day trip to Salzburg was a necessary venture due to the fact that CMurda's a huge Sound of Music fan. It's funny though because the locals in Salzburg could give a rat's ass about the Sound of Music as most of them have never seen it!

Salzburg is not very big (150,000) and it's totally doable in a day. It is however a cool town to stroll through and has amazing scenery- the alps in the background, etc. and oh yeah- i guess Mozart's from there if you're into that sort of thing. There's a square in the old city center dedicated to him.

upon arrival- we grabbed some chicken kabobs (mo's recommendation). (THere's a huge turkish influence in Germany/Austria) They were wonderful!!! We should open a chicken kabob shop in the U.S. i think. We proceeded to go into the old town area across the Salzach River. We headed straight to the top of the hill to HohenSalzburg fortress which was started sometime around the 10th or 11th century. It had the best view and we took a tour of the castle. After seeing the fortress we stayed up top for some coffee and desserts. We realized we had a great view of the Sound of Music house too. We went back down and walked through the graveyard in the Sound of Music at St. Peter's Church and cemetary (it wasn't the actual cemetary in the movie- but the cemetary that inspired the hollywood set.) Then, of course we had to take pictures and prance around the fountain like they did in the movie to make CMurda happy....it was pretty fun actually acting like complete idiots. A quick view of the enormous Salzburg Cathedral (supposedly where Mozart played the organ- and was baptized) and we were on our train back to Munich to drink more beer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Salzburg/top of the fortressSalzburg/top of the fortress
Salzburg/top of the fortress

alps in the background
Salzburg/Sound of Music houseSalzburg/Sound of Music house
Salzburg/Sound of Music house

Mo with the Sound of music house in her background!
Salzburg/St. Patrick's CemetarySalzburg/St. Patrick's Cemetary
Salzburg/St. Patrick's Cemetary

Cemetary that inspired the hollywood set for the cemetary in Sound of Music
Salzburg/sound of music fountainSalzburg/sound of music fountain
Salzburg/sound of music fountain

well, after dancing around the fountain and singing like they do in the movie- we tried to get a jumping action shot...didn't time it quite right.


8th May 2008

where's the pix
Where are your pictures for this entry?????

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb