Hallein & Salzburg with Kiliam


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 7th 2007
Published: November 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 7th October



Woke up rested at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, quite dazed, Kiliam the same. First, a steak and salad breakfast. Head for a walk around Hallein, a stunning alpine villiage of narrow streets and angular houses, exactly like you imagined. Then down to the station for a train to Salzburg, only to discover (after 30 mins) that on Sundays such trains are only hourly, so we wait for 55 mins in a dazed stupour.

Salzburg itself is beautiful, and after some suicidal road crossing, and watching a steam train depart from the station, we walk along the river banks and try to find our way up to the top of the unusual large rock in the middle of the town. This doesn't work out so well, so eventually we concede defeat and nurse our misery in a bar that's chiselled into the side of the cliff face. There, beautiful barmaids serve us cheap (but weak) mojitos and we catch up with 2 years of non-contact, which continues all the way back to the hauptbahnhof and then back to Hallein. Another meal is required, this time some simple pasta, with Kiliam's rather cool, artisic housemate, and we chat until well into the evening before collapsing to sleep once again.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to say a proper goodbye to Kiliam, leaving the tin-whistle on the table in the morning, and heading for the early train to Vienna...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb