The hills are alive...blah, blah, blah!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Salzburg, as we'd expected, is pretty much all about The Sound of Music... oh and Mozart! We arrived in the pouring rain and had to walk the full length of the city to our hostel a "youth and family guesthouse". Sounds friendly right? Well it wasn't. It wasn't really too bad, but it cost the same amount as the amazing pension we had stayed in the night before, so we were expecting slightly more than an 8-bed dorm with a smelly old lady and a crazy woman who muttered in her sleep ALL NIGHT! We spent the first day orientating ourselves with the city visiting the Cathedral, the gardens from the film (you know which one!), and climbing up to a church next to the river which offered quite an impressive view of the city. That afternoon Ciara went to collect her mum and little brother from the airport, as they had come to meet us to go skiing. We went for dinner in a traditional restaurant where Anne and Ciara had a sweet omlette for dessert. It looked like baked alaska, but it tasted like foam! Needless to say, Ciara the hardened traveller ate it all. Ronan hardly touched his fruit-flavoured chocolate cake so Ciara ate that too!
The following day we did a whistel-stop tour of the town with the newcomers before heading to the train station (we needed a taxi exclusively for the luggage!) to meet Cad. We all then headed off to Kaprun on the busiest train we have encountered so far. We spent the journey wedged into the vestibule between smelly toilets and automatic doors!
We may not have done Salzburg justice here. It is a very pleasant city, but it failed to capture us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb