Today we march to the beat of a different drum (and a thousand other instruments)


Advertisement
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 5th 2018
Published: August 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was great. What else could it be in Germany? What made it remarkable was the view from the breakfast room. Stunning scenery all around us. We were being blessed with another ideal weather day. We've been visiting this, my absolute favorite, place every few years since 1978. Most of our visits have taken place in the winter months for economic and scheduling reasons. The few times we'... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Now the redcoats are comingNow the redcoats are coming
Now the redcoats are coming

This serving wench might have been doling out Bosnas from her basket to go along with her friend's Schnapps.
Salzburg Dom from the KapitalplatzSalzburg Dom from the Kapitalplatz
Salzburg Dom from the Kapitalplatz

After the bands left the square we headed the opposite way toward the graveyard and Music hall.
Saint Peter's cemetery Saint Peter's cemetery
Saint Peter's cemetery

The unique mausoleums of this Salzburg churchyard inspired the scene in the Sound of Music where the family hides from Ralf and his Nazi buddies.
The Stumpfögger burial plotThe Stumpfögger burial plot
The Stumpfögger burial plot

Normally they dig up your bones and rebury them in a common grave after a few generations. Europeans don't like wasting precious ground space on big cemeteries. You don't really get to rest in peace forever. But for some reason this family from the 18th Century is still interred here. Or at least their grave markers give that impression.
Major General Harry CollinsMajor General Harry Collins
Major General Harry Collins

This American general governed Salzburg in the yers immediately after World War II. He married a local girl and they settled in Salzburg when he retired. He helped restore prosperity to the city during those difficult years but he was also accused of profiteering as well.
Salzburg's Grosses FestspielhausSalzburg's Grosses Festspielhaus
Salzburg's Grosses Festspielhaus

This is where major classical concerts take place in Salburg. In the Sound of Music movie you are led to believe this is where the family sand and then defected from Austria but I read that there was no real resemblance between the fictitious movie location and this music hall.
TouristsTourists
Tourists

Finally the fiakers were getting some use. This was a part of town we had never really explored before. There were a couple of really nice looking upscale bistros situated close to the Festpielhaus catering to the Opera and classical music fans I suppose.
The Horsey bathtubThe Horsey bathtub
The Horsey bathtub

This was another statue dedicated to the Prince-archbishops' favorite mode of transportation. This was more functional than that other fountain. Here the horses could be led into the water and get a bath.
It's Augustiner time!It's Augustiner time!
It's Augustiner time!

Their over-sized parking lot was nearly full but we found a space in one of the last rows. As luck would have it parking was free with a validated ticket.
Those amazing white radishesThose amazing white radishes
Those amazing white radishes

Thinly sliced and heavily salted these radishes are an even better compliment to the beer than pretzels. If I open a Biergarten these would be the main snack at my place.
Grab your mug and move alongGrab your mug and move along
Grab your mug and move along

I think these stoneware mugs are deliberately made to look ugly so that they aren't stolen as souvenirs.
 Be sure to wash your beer Stein first Be sure to wash your beer Stein first
Be sure to wash your beer Stein first

After choosing a mug from the Wall o'Mugs the next step is to rinse out your mug before getting in line for the actual beer. I sincerely hope this is merely for show and that the mugs are washed and sanitized before going up on that rack on the wall. It's not like Dawn and a sponge are provided.
He's too quick for meHe's too quick for me
He's too quick for me

I tried numerous times to catch this beerkeep whipping the filled mugs down the counter like in the Old West, but the hand was quicker than the camera eye.
Grödig doesn't look so grootyGrödig doesn't look so grooty
Grödig doesn't look so grooty

On the outskirts of Salzburg and just before the border with Germany we passed through this tiny hamlet with a half dozen or so traditional lodging establishments. My post trip research indicates we will probably never be staying in any of them as their rates start at well over $200/night.



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb