We love Wien - Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria » Wiener Neustadt
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Okay we caught the early train to Vienna via Salzburg and had time to stop and take a look around but decided not too as we would go back to do the "Sound of Music" tour on another day. We arrived in Vienna at Westbahnhof (central train station) but was supposed to be at Sudbanhof (South Train Station) So off we went to find our train. When we arrived at our destination the directions given on the internet left a lot to be desired. After about 15min we finally found our accomodation which was only minutes from the train station with a big yellow sign that read HOTEL! Funny bout that! Anyway it looked like a dump and must say that nearly every time we thought our accomodation looked a bit dodgy from the outside, the inside would be quite nice and on this occasion, it was still the case.......... We had the family room which gave us two rooms at the end of a hall o the 4th floor way from noise and our noise!........... The 2 rooms were great because I was now loosing sleep with Richards snoring and the ear plugs didnt quite do it!! As Lisa was recovering from the cold that Richard had passed on and I just got it we decided to go local for tea but Lisa decided to stay home so Richard & I headed off to Don Giovanni italian restuarant just down the road. It was cold and wet and the food wasnt too good so back home and in bed for 9pm! We are all knackered from having or had or getting the cold!

Next morning we had a sleep in till 9am and all felt great but decided to stay in Vienna and have a look around. What a beautiful city, only 2 metro stops and we were in the centre of the old town. We saw Stephansplatz, St Stephens cathederal and one of the many castles (cant remember its name). We spent hours walking around, then took a train loop of the city and was sucked in to buy tickets to see an opera, orchestra and ballet performance that night. We got back to our hotel quite late and quickly got changed and ran to catch the train back into the city. We arrived at the wrong theatre and had to briskly walk about a klm across cobbled stoned streets, Lisa in high heals, to get to the correct place........................ an old church with school type seats laid out!!!!! Rip off! We did however enjoy the music and the opera singers (2) but the ballet dancers were a bit older (35-40y0) almost dancing on the spot as the stage wasnt very big at all! We determined everyone was past their prime in their field (we cant complain) and discussed escaping at half time but felt guilty so stayed, that and we had free champagne vouchers........... ah well put it down to experience!

Following day decided to got to Bratislava (Slovakia) only an hour away and cost 12 Euro return and 1 hour by train. Lisa said the only thing that came to mind when we mentioned Bratislava was the scene out of Eurortip which she found and played to us on the internet! Well it wasnt quite like that but what an adventure. The people spokeno or little english. We found the main castle but it was being restored so we just walked around then found the recommended (lonely planet & trip advisor) "rabbit warren" of cafe's and settled on an Irish Pub as it was 1.45pm and Richard started knawing his arm again! We waited 45min for our meal and by this time I was pissed!! The only explanation was that "the managers came in" So What????? I spat big time!!!! Not happy Jan...... Lisa was unimpressed and found it a bit scary but they should watch out for an unhappy traveller I say! The underground was a bit dodgy & you wouldnt want to be there after dark but it was okay as we had our bodygaurd with us.

Last day we booked the Sound of Music and would pay upon arrival in Salzburg, only thing was it would cost us 74 Euro each return on the train so we opted not to go.......... It is more expensive to travel inside Austria than to out of it! So we dicided to go to the Schromburn castle where we spent 3 hours and I could have spent another 3...... The history was very incestuous and the gardens were beautiful. We had lunch at the summer room at the top. Later we went on our first shopping expidition and only bought a few Tshirts, we stopped for coffee and was told about a fresh food market so ventured in to buy supplies for tea. We decided to stay in for tea. We watched a movie on Lisa's computer and packed for tomorrow! Off to Budapest!








Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Another horse n carrageAnother horse n carrage
Another horse n carrage

They are everywhere
All dressed up for the OperaAll dressed up for the Opera
All dressed up for the Opera

Lucky we got free champagne


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb