Goodbye lovely Albania!


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania » West » Tirana
August 27th 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well I had only a few days left in Albania before I headed to the coast of Montenegro.

So after our trip to the Blue Eyed spring, Jhonny, Axiel and I jumped on a bus to Gjirokastra. there were no seats but we sat on the floor, and I made friends with the people around me, and managed to a get a nectarine and contacts to meet up with when I went back to Tirana. So was a pleasant journey, considering the seating arrangement.

I had only a short period before I had to head back to Saranda, as the buses do not run very late, and was returning to check our sick Quebeca friend Jen.

With the time I had we walked briefly around the town, or more like tried not to get hopeless lost among the littel alleys, and cobbled streets. We visited an old house, which was very interesting due to its history. It had been taken away form the family about 70 years ago by the communists, and they then built themselves a new house nearby. It was then turned into a museum, but with the fall of communism it was later ransacked and everything stolen, so the family restored what they could and opened it to the public.

It was a tall house, with lots of rooms, and had decor that made you think a vampire, or the undead would spring out of one of the many rooms.

It was an incredible house, and unfortunately words don't really describe it. It was particularly stunning as it was right on the hill, and had an awesome view of the town below.

Jhonny and Axiel were staying in Gjirokastra, to leave for Corca the next morning, and I got a bus back to Saranda. Two old men decided that it was their duty to look after me, and make sure I got on the bus. They got a chair, and insisted I stay there till the bus came. They then checked that I was ok, and put me on the bus. I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was in Albania, I had such a speacial time there because of the people, and their kindness to tourists.

The next day I got a painfully early bus to Tirana, and returned to the capital city. The journey once again was beautiful because of the lush countryside, and mountains.

I stayed at different hostel this time - The Albania Hostel - and was looked after well by the lovely German couple who own it.

I visited the few things I hadn't done in Tirana last time I was there and caught up with the lovely Albanian/American couple I met on the bus.

The national art gallery, although quite small, very interesting due to the contrast between the art of the socialist era, and the post and pre periods. It was difficult not to notice how pro-socialism, optimistic and 'propaganda'esque the art of communism was. All very bright, based around the hard working labourer - often including women - working enthusiastically for the state, and the brave military who were supporting them.

From Tirana I got a furgon - mini bus - to Shkodra and then another to Ulcinq in Montenegro.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb