Country #1- Fiji, Finally!


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
October 20th 2006
Published: October 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

ParadiseParadiseParadise

Beautiful Beaches
Country 1- Fiji, Finally….

Here is the official trip update, our team had a rocky start (what trip is without drama on the way to the airport). We had a fatality, a camera fatality that is, after a clumsy novice backpacker dropped her brand new camera in LAX. There were tears, frustration and a near trip cancellation before we finally managed to PULL IT TOGETHER!

And once we did, everything was grand!

The airplane ride to Fiji was a blast! International flights are amazing. We had two meals and unlimited drinks (spirits) …. The best part is that everything was free, free, free (aka, in a backpackers budget!) We indulged in these novelties, Michael especially. At one point he was sprawled out in the window seat with his legs draped across all three seats. Fortunately or neighbor was wonderful, a sweet Mormon girl from Idaho. She was a nursing student on her way to do some charity work in Tonga. She didn’t mind Mike’s feet and actually found us quite entertaining.

Once arriving to Nadi, Fiji we were picked up by our resort and taken by boat to a remote island in the Yasawa’s. The Octopus
Time to RELAXTime to RELAXTime to RELAX

More Beaches
resort is on Waya Island and it is beautiful. It had a pristine beach with cozy grass huts. It was the only resort on a private bay. Everything was colorful and tropical. There were white sand beaches with crystal clear water and you could swim out into the bay and snorkel. It was the best snorkeling EVER! The food was amazing! All meals were included in our deal and we had gourmet fish dinners with fresh pineapple and mango. One night the kitchen staff cooked all the food underground. We had a huge pig, fish, pumpkin casserole thing, it was divine (and healthy!).

The native Fijians are the nicest people. The natives that worked at the resort lived in a village 15 minutes walking distance away. We were able to visit the village one day and had a Kava ceremony. Kava is a drink the locals make from the root of a Kava plant. In a ceremony you must first clap, then say blua (hello in Fijian) before drinking. Kava is very popular amongst Fijians. It tastes like dirty chalky water and makes your mouth numb. If you drink excessive amounts of Kava you get a feeling comparable to
Fijian Beer
More Resort PicsFijian Beer
More Resort PicsFijian Beer More Resort Pics

Liquid Diet of Champions! FYI- We will include pictures of the actual travelers in the next blog. NEW ZEALAND!
being stoned. Of course, one night, we walked down from the resort with a couple we met from Australia. They had met some locals that worked at the resort and we went on an adventure to drink LOTS and LOTS of Kava. My highlight of Fiji was during this ceremony. At one point Mike laid back onto the blanket, pulled in his arms, closed his fists and exclaimed, “I’m turning into a Kava root”. It was great.

So, after leaving the beautiful Octopus resort Fiji did not get any better, only worse. The main island is a comparable mix between Hawaii (climate) and Mexico (culture), The weather was overcast, rainy, hot and humid. Yuck! We went to another resort for the surf (Seashell @ Momi) and were not impressed. But in the end it was worth it. Mike was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to surf Cloudbreak (a famous wave off of Tavarua). Better yet, he was able to surf with his friend Joel who happened to be working on the Island at the same time as our visit. It was really cool.

Fiji Highlights and Discoveries:

- Bounty is a 100 proof Fijian rum. Buy it at the airport and you are sure to have a GOOD CHEAP TIME in Fiji.

- Megan likes Vegimite (an Australian condiment, go figure)

- We ate every meal in Nadi at Ed’s because it’s cheep beer and healthy portions. Two thumbs up!

- Mosquito repellent is Megan’s new favorite fragrance (and obsession).

- Mike beat Megan and Scrabble.

- Megan is the queen of Gin Rummy.

- Ping Pong can make even the worst accommodations pleasurable.


Advertisement



20th October 2006

awww... you guys are so cute! i am glad that the two of you are out there together and having a blast. we all miss you, but dont wish you were HERE... we would like to be THERE with you.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb