The end of our trip! Isla Mujeres - a little island of bliss! & San Cristobel


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
August 25th 2006
Published: September 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset at Isla MujeresSunset at Isla MujeresSunset at Isla Mujeres

Watched a wedding on the beach this first night at sunset, quite stunning!
Sam and I made our way here leaving the little heaven of Tulum and landed in another form of heaven centred around a bustling hostal and a great beach party every night!

We hired a golf buggy one day and explored the island in more depth - driving one end ot other other took about 10 mins - but there was a turtle sanctury to see and this rather interesting ´zoo´ so to speak... But the buggy driving was a real high light for me! we got a guy called Toby in our dorm involved to lower the costs.

Then we splashed out and went snorkling with whale sharks, was amazing! early start and a drive out on the boat of a good hour and there they were, lots of fins poking out the water... very unnerving and i decided there was no way i was getting in the water! Sam and I were the last pair to get in, but it was amazing once we had found the courage! photos do them no justice.

Many great meals were had, much drinking and dancing to the wee hours on the beach and some major sweating it out in
Dinner with dorm matesDinner with dorm matesDinner with dorm mates

Tash and Gemma with Sam and I at possibly one of the worst meals we have ever had! but the bottles of wine washed it all down nicely!!!
our tiny mixed dorm, with 8 people (mostly boys...) and 2 pathetic fans that tended to cut out half was through the night due to yet another power cut! but its was great fun and despite the challenges faced with getting all the sand off you with the dribble shower we had and then getting dressed in a room full of boys and not enough room to swing a cat, we came out with big smiles on our faces!

We then took a long 20hr bus journey inland to San Cristobel up in the mountains - a really stunning town with many museaums and trips to learn about the indiginous groups that live there. It was a little colder at night than Isla Mujeres... and it rained a bit... (just getting us ready to come home!) but it was beautiful place and fascinating!

Then we had yet another little luxery and flew back to Mexico City prior to flying home at the end of the month. Very sad to leave!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Lunch!Lunch!
Lunch!

Made the traditional way - fajitas!


Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb