April 10, 2012


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We head to a resort with huts over the water similar to the one on Manihi. This one has a buffet breakfast for $35. We are able to indulge in many foods of which we’ve been deprived during the past couple months. We have lots of fresh fruit, French pastries, French scrambled eggs, orange juice, good coffee, gourmet cheeses, etc. Then we go for a dip in the pool. We were going to ask permission to swim in the pool, but my philosophy on such things is that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. After about an hour, we are told the pool is for guests only. The Polynesian man who tells us this looks like a bouncer. But he is very apologetic and when we get out, he offers us huge beach towels and points us to a fresh water shower. I haven’t mentioned it, but the Polynesian people are really all very friendly, especially on the less populated islands. We sail the boat down to the other passage which is about 4 miles away. While there were about 10 boats where we had been, there were no boats in the anchorage shown on the chart. When we got to the “anchorage” we could see that the bottom was solid coral, so no anchorage at all. We motored around and did find an acceptable place about a mile away. We took the dinghy ashore to find “town” and I FINALLY got my ice cream bar. Ummm!!! It lasts about two minutes before dripping down my arm. A dog lurking nearby was on the receiving end of several chunks of the chocolate shell that fell off. Lucky dog.The town here is a lot less impressive than expected based on the travel books. It seems quite poor. We buy a few expensive provisions, then head back to the boat for a snorkel on a nearby reef. We see lots of colorful coral, one eel, no sharks, thankfully, and lots of giant clams that are still small – under one foot. Dinner on board, then another calm night’s sleep, though it is so hot I get up and sit outside for an hour during the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb