March 29, 2012


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a beautiful reach from Fatu Hiva to Hiva Oa with winds 15k – 18k. It was perfect conditions. Even so, we pulled into the harbor just before dark. As soon as we had our bow and sterns anchors set, we tood the dinghy ashore and began the two mile hike into town. Fortunately, a local stopped and offered us a ride. His family owns a restaurant that specializes in pizza and we believe he had just made a delivery. Very kindly he took us first to the bank to get some local currency from the ATM, then to his restaurant where we ate out for the first time in nearly four weeks. The pizzas were supposedly single serving size, so we ordered three. Well, they were large and loaded with toppings. One would have fed all three of us, but we were not sad to have leftovers to take home. We also had a delicious salad and the local beer, Hinano Tahiti which is very good. We had been warned about prices in French Polynesia and found the warnings to be justified every time we made a purchase. This dinner was $35 per person which was not terrible given the quality, but also no bargain. After dinner, another family member gave us a ride back to the harbor.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb